Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

registering extension in folder options

This is a discussion on registering extension in folder options within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. win cant properly register an extension in folder options > extensions list anymore. in 'folder options' i deleted the .avi

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

win cant properly register an extension in folder options > extensions list anymore.
in 'folder options' i deleted the .avi extension, because it didnt properly register with a program. but the .avi extension doesnt appear back in the list of extensions ! even when it is manually set in the list, it is automatically removed again when i open the extensions list. i can assign the .avi extension to some other program than windows media player, but i cant change the icon anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Scroll down to post#6 Adding extensions to Windows XP so that it will search the file contents - FILExt Forum and see if that solves the problem.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

this post? i have no idea what it means and what to look for.
Quote:
I had this same problem a few months ago with my .MAC files but just became aware of your Thread. To solve my problem I ended up making some changes to my Registry, some of it under MS Tech direction -- if you can still use the info, here it is: under "MyComputer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MAC\PersistentHandler", the new File Extension must exist here and it must have a PersistentHandler key with a Default value {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} (like the .TXT file extension) -- I tried typing in the value but it didn't work -- the MS Tech told me to Copy-Paste it from the .TXT PersistentHandler key -- then it worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You would go to Start/Run and type in regedit and press enter. In the Registry Editor go to the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\PersistentHandler on the right side the extension must have a Default value. (see attached) If there is no Default Value, copy it from the .txt extension, by right clicking it and choosing Modify. Then copying the value. Go back to .avi Right click the Default and choose Modify and Paste the value in there. Then exit the Registry Editor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avi.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	106854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Persistent.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	106855  
Closed Thread