Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Reduced performance after reinstalling XP

This is a discussion on Reduced performance after reinstalling XP within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Cry Performance reduced after reinstalling WinXP pro I have just reinstalled my system (XP Pro) and updated it online to

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 AM   #1

Cry Performance reduced after reinstalling WinXP pro

I have just reinstalled my system (XP Pro) and updated it online to SP2. Authenticated updated and all. I haven't changed any hardware and in fact I reinstalled less software than before.
Since reinstallation and updating, I've noticed considerable deterioration on system performance, reflected e.g. on scroll speed (eg in Firefox and in Word & Excel. For firefox I've checked "smooth scrolling" it's off. Especially Word used to be up to 1page/sec while scrolling with arrow keys, now is down to 5-6 sec/page. Also: normally Word shows the page numbers (lower left corner) changing as you scroll - not anymore in my case. Page numbers remain change only after scrolling stops. Other example is when I move windows on the screen, movement is not spooth but rather jerky.
Any ideas?
My 2.66GHz machine is clean according to avast antivirus, spybot, adaware & adwatch, Netscape's own spyware scanner. Reg mechanic finds no problems. HD (40GB) is error free and cleaned-up and defragmented. Smooth scrolling options are off.
Thanks to anyone who could help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Sgt.

My System

Help with MS Office is another forum, so I can't hep you with Word settings.
As far as your general slowness issue: If it's slower now than it was before the re-install, then you did something different this time than you did previously. Try and think what that might be. I could sit here and guess all week and we might never stumble across it, there's just too many things that could affect performance.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #3

did you check the device manager for any yellow alerts?
while your in there..click view.. then "show hidden devices"

even though you ran avast, you might need to go the 5 step procedure in my sig. and have the security techs have a peek or at least try the panda online scan

post back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #4

you can increase the keyboard repeat speeds by using the keyboard icon in the control panel. that might help with the arrow keys speeds.

i'm not too sure about word, what version is it?

is the video card an AGP type and if so did you install the AGP drivers from the mobo disc before you installed the video drivers?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Sgt.

My System

Mister freddyhard's mention of AGP drivers reminded me: If you're using a motherboard that has Via or nVidia drivers, you should be aware that most of those drivers do not have good built-in support with Windows XP. They'll still work, but you'll (usualy) get less bugs and better performance if you go get the updated drivers.
If you're using XPsp2, you shouldn't need special AGP chipset drivers: It's already included in Service Pack 2. Same goes for WiFi, Firewire, USB 2.0 and PCI express. Firewire 800 (IEE 1394b) needs special drivers, but Firewire 400 (IEE1394a) doesn't. It does need a hotfix, though: Microsoft somehow limited the per-device bandwidth to 100 Mb/s when they released SP2. (it was 400 under SP1a). KB885222 v2.0 restores the firewire port to it's full speed. So, if you're using firewire devices, go get the hotfix. If you have a motherboard or add-in card that has IEEE 1394b (Firewire 800) ports, then the driver package that came with it may already include this fix, so check your documentation.
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Mentally divergent

I second Sarge's recommendation. Last year I built a PC from scrounged parts. Had a turn-of-the-century Creative sound card, assumed that W2K would have drivers. Most stuff ran OK, but Juno and a coupla other programs took forever to come up.
Installing the Creative sound card drivers fixed the logginess.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #7

Yes, sounds like classic video driver issue. Also, try loading the platform drivers before video drivers, if you don't do it that way.
Bronson7
Old 06-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #8

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdat
did you check the device manager for any yellow alerts?
while your in there..click view.. then "show hidden devices"

even though you ran avast, you might need to go the 5 step procedure in my sig. and have the security techs have a peek or at least try the panda online scan

post back
-Thanks to all of you - it was actually the graphics card adaptors needed re-installation. But thanks a lot for your suggestions. With Windows you never know...
BTW:WHOSDAT: I've got 36 hidden devices (non plug n play drivers), never seen that menu! Scary... I was really tempted to start disabling them all, but I guess I would have to pay for this later. Some of them were clear like "avast virus monitor". But what on earth is "beep" or "null"?!...
Old 06-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Sgt.

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by freequest
-Thanks to all of you - it was actually the graphics card adaptors needed re-installation. But thanks a lot for your suggestions. With Windows you never know...
BTW:WHOSDAT: I've got 36 hidden devices (non plug n play drivers), never seen that menu! Scary... I was really tempted to start disabling them all, but I guess I would have to pay for this later. Some of them were clear like "avast virus monitor". But what on earth is "beep" or "null"?!...
OK, that means that Windows can see that there's a device on a bus that it can access, but it doesn't know how to interogate (talk) to it. Since there's 36 of them it's a safe bet they're mostly on the motherboard. However, the fact that they're showing up as non plug-and-play devices tells me that you might have an option set incorrectly in your system BIOS. Specificly, you shoukd look in the BIOS for a an option labeled with the words "plug and play OS" and set it to be set FOR a plug and play OS. (Not for a non plug-and-play OS). You should also go into the BIOS and make sure APM and ACPI are enabled. (Secondary ACPI options like keyboard wake, wake-on-lan, and in the BIOS are optional, but Windows XP is heavily dependent on the basic ACPI functions.)

Do you know the Make and Model Number of your motherboard? You really should find out, becasue that's the only way you're ever going to get the proper drivers for it. It ususaly tells you that somewhere in your BIOS and/or in the POST, but not always. It's also usualsy printed right on the surfaxce of the BIOS, but someone times it's hard to see it once you have all those wires and add-in cards in there. Once you have an OS installed that can boot to the desktop, a better way to find out the motherboard information is to use a system information tool like Everest or AIDA32 (and it's succesors). Everest's developers recently stoped work on the free verion of Everest to focus on the "pro" version, but the free version is still available at MajorGeeks.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
AIDA a similar program from another developers, and I used to use it all the time but I prefer Everst. Still, there's nothing at all wrong with AIDA if all you need it for is to grab the MOBO's model number.
If you don't like Everest, go poke around in the Majorgeeks collection of files and see if you find something else that suits you.
Mind the ad banners.
Closed Thread