Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Recovery disk vs Installing Windows XP Pro from disk.

This is a discussion on Recovery disk vs Installing Windows XP Pro from disk. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I was not able to install windows XP Pro as an upgrade so I have decided to format

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, I was not able to install windows XP Pro as an upgrade so I have decided to format my system. I have a dell Inspiron 9300 and the thing is that I have a partition on my hard drive that is used to reformat. Should I use that and then install XP Pro as an upgrade, or format the entire disk and install Pro from scratch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If I were you I would just install XP Pro from the CD. If you go this route, though, make sure that:

1. You have a GENUINE WINDOWS CD from a past version of Windows. Since you have only an upgrade CD you will need an old version of Windows to prove that you qualify for an upgrade. If you don't have an old Windows CD, use the partition first and then upgrade.

2. Make sure you can download the drivers. If you can't download or find all of the necessary drivers then use the partition first and then upgrade.

If you can say that both of the above apply to you just go ahead and clean install XP Pro and then load the drivers on after install. You'll also need your XP Pro Upgrade product key so you can activate Windows.

BMR777

RusnakWeb - Web Development Tutorials
Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks its not just an upgrade its the actual OS with sp2 :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, but there are two versions, a FULL version XP and an UPGRADE version of XP. Both can be used to do a clean install, however the UPGRADE version requires you to prove that you are eligible, so if you do a clean install it will FORCE you to provide it with an old version of Windows CD. When you bought it there were two options, the expensive one and the cheaper one. If you bought the cheaper one you will need an old Windows CD or the install will fail.

BMR777

RusnakWeb - Web Development Tutorials
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

The Dell Recovery facility lets you return the systme to the state it was shipped. Handy if you have applications/drivers that you don't want to take the time to reinstall . . not so handy since it also resotres the Trialware and Junkware that Dell often puts on pc's

For more:

https://support.dell.com/support/topi...=us&l=en&s=gen

Closed Thread