Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Recovery Disk stops working after 5 years

This is a discussion on Recovery Disk stops working after 5 years within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So for the past 5 years I've been using the same 3 set of discs to recover my computer whenever

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #1

So for the past 5 years I've been using the same 3 set of discs to recover my computer whenever it started acting stupid past the point of 20 hour headache. Well, for some reason, CD 1 won't run. I put it in the Cd Drive, and checked if the CD drive was the first one in the boot order (it is), and when the computer starts all I see is a black screen with a txt line on the top left of the screen as if waiting for an input (not like it matters if I could input for some reason the keyboard disables at this moment), and the computer does nothing after that.

Things I can think of to cause this, well, I installed an Aston Shell recently, I haven't checked for security issues in over a month, and I haven't properly cleaned my HD from Adware and Malware in over 2. Any idea's or checks I can produce to try and figure out the problem would be appreciated!

Specs
Compaq Presario 5000
2.0 GhZ Processor
512 Ram
Xp Sp1 (I tried installing SP2 plenty before, but it freezes in mid-boot for some reason)
Ati 9200 Extasy

Any other info needed just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

A few simple things. Have you checked the CD for scratches etc.? Do other CDs work OK in the drive? How old is the drive?

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Old 11-03-2007, 05:19 AM   #3

Yes the drive works fine, I was listening to music from it a while before I tried using the disc, and the CD is scratchless, it's the only CD I own without scratches lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Try reading the CD from Explorer to see if disc integrity is OK.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:40 AM   #5

Explorer read the folders a while back just fine, I have another problem now though...

NTLDR is missing when I boot now..... and it seems that there is no way to start windows on my desktop now, so I'm kind of stuck on this laptop x.x.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Is the laptop running the same version of Windows and does it have a floppy drive?

Old 11-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #7

This laptop I'm currently on is Vista (PoS IMO!!!) , the pc was WinXp SP1 :(
Old 11-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

I don't know what to suggest then if you can't create a boot floppy or boot from your recovery CDs. Let's hope someone else has some ideas.

Closed Thread