Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

recover XP activation code?

This is a discussion on recover XP activation code? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there any way to recover the activation code from XP with the disk installed in another computer? Grandson's up

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Is there any way to recover the activation code from XP with the disk installed in another computer?

Grandson's up visiting and his laptop died, I have a spare laptop and a copy of XP but it installed on my garage computer.
Hoping I can use his drive, recover the code, install XP from my copy and use his activation code(it's also retail so no issues) is that possible?
His disk is 'in a box in the attic' and understandably, no-one wants to go dig it out!

Any other options?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

License can only be active on one computer at a time.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Is there any way to recover the activation code from XP with the disk installed in another computer?

Any other options?

Assuming you want to end up with only one active copy and the old drive still works, you may be able to search the registry on the old machine. There used to be a key finder that worked for XP, something called 'Magic Jelly Bean' if I remember right. You might try a web search for that and see if you can find it on a trusted site to download from.

Then again, have you looked at the bottom of the machine to see if the hologram tag is there? If so, you should be able to use that code if it's for the same version of XP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the laptop and desktop are already activated, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Only if your trying to activate two copies of the same Windows XP.
As stated, you can Magical Jelly Bean to find your Product key
Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Only want his license activated. Both copies are retail versions.

I'll rephrase what I need to do.
His computer died, and has a legal install of XP retail version on the drive
I have an unused laptop without a drive.
I want to install his drive in an external housing connected to my desktop and attempt to recover his activation code, place his drive in my unused laptop and re-install XP using my disk and his activation code.
My laptop was OEM Vista, so code on bottom won't work with XP.

I'll give jelly bean a try and see what I come up with thanks!
Old 07-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

If you find the code, I'd go one more step in that process if it were me and that would be to replace the HDD with a new one, maybe an SSD, then install XP on it with the code.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Look on the bottom of your Grandsons laptop, the XP Product code should be on a sticker. Unless it is an OEM license, then it will not work with a retail version CD of XP.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Just learned that you can load different hives in regedit. so once I discovered where the code was hiding, I loaded up a VM, then loaded the proper hive from his drive, I managed to get the code, He's up and running again with the some drive and OS

Thanks all!
Closed Thread