Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Recent Weird Behaviour: XP not Me!

This is a discussion on Recent Weird Behaviour: XP not Me! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Esprimo 15" Laptop: Intel Celeron 570 2.27 GHz 1.75GB RAM XP Professional Version 2002, SP 3 HDD: 149Gb; 13.9Gb remaining

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Esprimo 15" Laptop: Intel Celeron 570 2.27 GHz 1.75GB RAM
XP Professional Version 2002, SP 3
HDD: 149Gb; 13.9Gb remaining

A number of odd things have been occurring with my laptop in the past couple of days, starting with several desktop icons not displaying their normal image, including those in the 'Start' menu. On two occasions clicking Start | All Programs produced an entire blank area, then moving the mouse within the blank area showed up randon program names.

I get no response from trying to open my preferred browser Google Chrome and my 2nd choice of Firefox (v 9.0.1), just shows the Mozilla Crash Reporter window everytime I try to open that browser. I am able to access the net with IE 8 and Safari.

Fearing an imminent HDD failure, I plugged in my WD Passport external HDD (500Gb) and was met with, "The paging filke is too small for this operation to complete".

When trying to implement a number of Windows updates, a partly displayed box appeared on the screen with only the word Close visible, which didn't respond to being clicked.

It's also failed several times to respond to Start|Turn off Computer and on other occasions only the buttons relating to Stand By | Turn Off | Restart are barely discernible on the screen.

As for the remaining space on the HDD, it's disappearing in front of my eyes! Yesterday I started with 14.9Gb and I've lost 1Gb virutally overnight and I've only created/saved a single 24Kb Word doc. In the C:\ drive alongside today's date are 2 pretty big files, namely:

hiberfil.sys 1,832,108 kb
pagefile.sys 2,095,104 kb

but as I'm clearly not as technically gifted as many of you guys on here, I have no idea of their significance.

I ran a quick scan of Avast! AV and nothing was found.

These have been the principal happenings over the past couple of days, but I'm at a loss what to do first to discover what is happening. Hopefully there is enough here for someone to make some suitable suggestions.

Efkay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
hiberfil.sys 1,832,108 kb
pagefile.sys 2,095,104 kb.....The paging filke is too small for this operation to complete
hiberfil.sys is the saved file for Hibernation. If you do not hibernate your laptop you can go to Start/Run and type powercfg.cpl and press enter. Go to the Hibernate tab and uncheck Enable Hibernate to regain that space.
Pagefile.sys is you virtual memory paging file. Go to Start/Run and type sysdm.cpl and press enter. Go to Advanced/Performance/Settings/Advanced/Virtual Memory/Change make sure it is set to System Managed.
To see what is using up your HDD space use Space Sniffer
As for your other problems. Go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing files from the CD.
After that is done go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /F and press Enter. In the Command Prompt type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will fix any file errors. Then when that is done, do a Disk Cleanup, you will need at least 15% free HDD space on your C: drive to be able to defrag and run it efficiently. Then go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc and press enter. then press Defrag Now.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you so very much for your prompt and informative response. I'll report back when I've completed the tasks suggested - I've a small medical procedure to endure later today, but will be up and about in a couple of days. This laptop's OS came pre-installed - could I use the XP installation CD for my tower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

My absence from here was longer than anticipated, and now home I've been able to carry out spunk.funk's instructions as far as installing/running Space Sniffer but this old laptop's OS came pre-installed, so there is no CD installation disk.

I tried using the one for my tower system, but says the installed system is newer than the CD (CD came with SP 2) and I've since installed SP 3, so I guess that's the reason why it won't work. There certainly wasn't an option to repair Windows.

In addition to the array of odd behaviours I mentioned in my original posting, I'm now getting other error messages - when trying to open various programmes - along the lines of " .... is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I have managed to move a lot of files to another device and have in excess of 27% of free HDD space now, but am not sure how to proceed without the right CD installation disk or even if it is possible.

Is there a way out of this dilema?

Efkay
Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
am not sure how to proceed without the right CD installation disk or even if it is possible
SFC /scannow will work as long as the CD is the same type of XP (Home for Home, Pro for Pro) The SP will not matter. When you run it, it will tell you to please put in the SP3 disc, what that means is the files you have on your computer are newer then the ones on the disc, if you press enter, it will continue scanning and replacing bad files. You may have to press enter several times for it to finish.
You can also try a Repair Install and if all else fails, you can save all of your files to another drive, and boot off of the XP Disc and format the drive and reinstall Windows.
Closed Thread