Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Re-install XP on a dell1501: is nuke n boot wise or unwise?

This is a discussion on Re-install XP on a dell1501: is nuke n boot wise or unwise? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have read thru older posts and feel pretty comfortable about executing the XP re-install. I am doing this because

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I have read thru older posts and feel pretty comfortable about executing the XP re-install. I am doing this because of persistent problems that were caused by the Ucleaner virus. (Now my TrendMicro is non-functional and using trial version of McAffe.) The one thing I guess I am most worried about is the partion set-up. I assume that Nuke-N-Boot will erase my partitions. I want to do the Dariks wipe to be sure I have no residual virus pieces. Does anyone have thoughts on this question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #2

My first thought is to get completly clean by doing a hijack this forum post. Then you wouldn't need to do a wipe/reload. If you still want to, just doing a low level format re-install using your xp disk is what I recommend. I would still do the post first, since some viruses can reside in memory or bios, re-infecting the cleaned machine. I am not familiar with the product you are speaking about, though.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
I helped the forums.

My System

The only thing you have to cautious about when wiping an OEM drive is the type of back up it uses. Some systems have a hidden partition that holds the hard drive, and the recovery CD simply allows you access the hidden image for recovery. Others have the image spread across multiple CDs.
If your Dell uses the hidden partition method and you use Dban on it then you will not be able to restore it factory defaults using your Recovery cd and would have to buy a Windows installation CD.
If you have a hidden Partition you'll be able to see it with the Disk Management tool from Windows. It's usually a small "Unknown Partition"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #4

personally i would go download a copy of bootit ng from https://www.terabyteunlimited.com and have a look at the partition structure... you dont need to install bootit to use the maintenance mode
you will be certain of the "unknown partition" because it will be described as dedicated dell
you could then do a destructive partition removal clearing the boot sector and create a new partition in its place with a full ntfs or fat32 format as you prefer for your clean install if you want to do a lowlevel format of the drive you can also use bootit to create an img of the dell partition and restore it back to the drive after the format by using cd-rw media to hold the img

if you need a good lowlevel formatter i use kill disk
https://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
on a bootable cd
there is a paid version for DoD level wipes

hopefully you still have your trend micro regcode in your reg email so once you can get sp2 reinstalled you can get trend back on

good luck
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Guys, I posted my Hijack this log on the 14th in the Hijack forum. I never recv'd any comments on it. Could, maybe one of you that know how to read it ... take a look?
I have the Trend Micro Install CD. I never got an e-mail (that I know of) when I installed it.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #6

It takes some time before some gets to it, since they are so busy, so be patient. Only an analyst is allowed to comment on hjt logs.
Sorry, didn't see the date. Did you bump it?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

I also have a Dell Inspiron 1501. If they shipped you the purple XP installation CD with SP2 you should be all clear to nuke the PC and install. It has an I386 folder on the CD and appears to be a full Windows installation CD.

BMR777
Old 09-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
RichardIII

Hi Flatpick610,

Please read the five steps, it states that if you didn't get a reply within 48 hours (I think you apply for this condition) then you should reply to your own post and place "Bump" in the body text; that is all, no more information!

I assume you followed these five steps...? If not, then you better do so, since it prepares the information the anlysts in the HJT forum need, and analyzing such a log is no joke... I can tell you! Here you can find the Five steps just click on the red colored text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick610 View Post
Guys, I posted my Hijack this log on the 14th in the Hijack forum. I never recv'd any comments on it. Could, maybe one of you that know how to read it ... take a look?
I have the Trend Micro Install CD. I never got an e-mail (that I know of) when I installed it.

Closed Thread