Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Problems with XP Media Centre SP3 re install

This is a discussion on Problems with XP Media Centre SP3 re install within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have just fitted a new 500Gb HDD and re installed Media Centre SP"(2005 version) from the original 2 discs,

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have just fitted a new 500Gb HDD and re installed Media Centre SP"(2005 version) from the original 2 discs, followed by SP3 from a download on a flashdrive.
A number of Windows components do not work. These include Disk Management, Event Viewer, System Restore, Help and Support, Network Connections, and probably others which I haven't found yet.
I also can not get my USB Network Adapter to connect to my wireless router. The adapter is installed correctly and recognizes my network along with others in the area. The network is also OK as I have other computers in the family which are connecting to the internet with no problems.
I keep getting messages that 'RPC Service is not available, yet it is set to Automatic and is Started. Also had a message that DCOM Service was not available but I cannot get that to start, it flashes up the 'RPC' message then lists itself as Starting.
Any help at all with this problem would be much appreciated, as I have exhausted my limited knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

Did you install the Motherboard drivers?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, motherboard drivers re installed. Must admit I only used the original disc I have for the MB, did not look for updates, but there were no problems prior to this re install. I only did it because I wanted a bigger HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Sounds like some of the files were not installed when you installed Windows. You should have loaded Windows XP First, and then MCE not the other way around. Anyways, go to Start/Run and type SFC /Scannow and hit enter. The Windows File Protection window pops up. Put in your XP CD and it will copy any files it needs. If this still fails, then reinstall XP and MCE in the proper order.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

The discs I have for Media Centre do not allow seperation of XP and MC. There is Disc 1 and Disc 2 for Windows XP Media Centre.
I tried Scannow, but when it asks for Disc 2, it does not accept the XP MEdia Centre Disc 2. Apparently this is a known problem to Microsoft.
I think you may be right that I may have to repeat the whole re installation, but I really don't want to do this except as a last resort because I do not understand why this first attempt went wrong.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Try a Repair install which will not delete any files or programs from your computer.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Did you have errors during the installation??

Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

spunk.funk - will I be able to do thisbearing in mind that my (faulty ) installation is SP3 but my discs are SP2? Will I be able to uninstall SP3 to enable the repair install to work?
old rich - No, there were no errors during the installation. That is why I am worried about re installing.
It is now 12.45 am in UK and after bed time, so will not be able to get back on here for about 18 hours now as have things to do tomorrow. Please, please continue your interest and I will respond just as soon as I can. Thank you for your interest.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Doing a Repair Install will probably revert automatically back to SP2. (it will overwrite newer files) Then if all is well you will have to do the updates again.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member

spunk.funk. "Then if all is well you will have to do the updates again". Do you mean that I should check out the missing components before re loading SP3?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

I would get all the drivers installed before installikng SP3

Old 12-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Registered Member

I have now completed a Repair Install without any interruptions nor missing files recorded. Unfortunately I still have exactly the same situation, if anything slightly worse in that there are now no Extended Services listed, only Standard ones.
I am now at a loss to know what to do next. Please help if you can.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Where did the installation disc come from? . . is it an original or a c opy?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

It is original, and although it contains the 2005 version, last weekend was the first time the cellophane had been taken off.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Is it a branded disc? e.g Dell . . HP??

Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

Branded, Microsoft, no other names on there. The computer was built by a UK company better known for providing Warranty services to the home computer market. I do not think that they continued manufacture for very long, so would not have had their name on the discs.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Any chance you can try a different installation disc . . that one seems to have issues

Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #18
Registered Member

I do not know anyone who has XP Media Centre, so no access to an alternative disc. Has anyone ever heard of a Microsoft OS disc having missing files, or any other issues for that matter. I haven't, but if it is known to have happened then I am prepared to tackle them for a replacement.Meanwhile, despite all the help so far on here, I am no further forward.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

I've never heard of it . . but something is going wrong

Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
Registered Member

Back again, because I still have not found the solution. Is it possible, or even likely that this could have something to do with SATA drivers for the new HDD? It is a Seagate Barracuda 500gb disc, and I did not load any special drivers for it as I assumed they would be on the XP Media Centre Discs.
Closed Thread