Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Problems reinstalling windows xp/vista after formatting HD. Please help !! Thanks.

This is a discussion on Problems reinstalling windows xp/vista after formatting HD. Please help !! Thanks. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, recently I've just bought a PC for my younger brother, and upon buying it, Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #1

Hi everyone,
recently I've just bought a PC for my younger brother, and upon buying it, Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate was installed, however the name that was registered, my sister's name was spelt incorrectly, and thus she seeing me edit things in regedit, she attempted to change some things in there from her mispelt name to her correct one. Anywho, upon doing that as some of you may have already assumed, Vista may not be running as stable, it ran and booted buh Vista was now unstable. Hence which lead to the problem.

I've formatted the HDD, using Windows XP PRO installation disc, wanting to install xp instead of Vista. So, after it formatted and copied the files, it normally reboots right ? and hence begin running off the files which were copied to the HDD. However, here's the problem that doesn't happen, each time after it finishes copying the file, it restarts and repeats the process, and boots from the cd-rom. I've attempted to change the booting order from, floppy, cd-rom, harddisk to floppy,hard disk,cd-rom and it still wont' run.

Also with the format, I did both a clean(full) sweep and a short(quick) format.

Thats the problem, if you need any more information about it, please let me know and thanks to all that help. I may have some grammatical errors as I am extremely exhausted by this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #2

So, anyone know anything about it at all !? Also, might someone tell me how to edit my post.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

Well I'm not sure I'm following what specifically is going wrong. If you've copied the installation files from the CD to the HD, perhaps that's where you went wrong. I'd just boot from the CD and run the install from there, then just follow the prompts to complete the install, remembering to remove the CD when instructed to. It's not really possible for the install to keep kicking off when you boot unless the CD is in the drive OR you've copied the installation files to the HD and the autoexec.bat file is in the root of C:, which may or may not be causing this repeated install issue.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #4

Nah, i didn't personally copy the files, .. I wanted to install XP PRO, so I booted the computer with the XP PRO disc in the dvd burner, and booted the computer.

Normally it reads from the burner and says " Press any key to continue ... " and if you wanna run from CD, which you'd normally want to, you literally press any key. However, one thing I realised is that I don't have to press any key, it automatically runs from the burner(cd-rom drive).

So the first time I booted the comp with xp pro cd in there, it allowed me to format, and once it formatted, it copied the setup files etc ( these are the files i mentioned that are copied ), normally after it copies the files, it has 15 sec period for reboot, which it does, then once it reboots up, it automatically repeats the process of running from the CD, as if the Hard drive isn't working.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #5

Nvm, I've dealt with the problem, thanks for the help, zzzzzz.
Closed Thread