Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Problem installing XP on new hard laptop hard drive

This is a discussion on Problem installing XP on new hard laptop hard drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I'm always a little nervous about jumping into a forum--hope everyone here's patient with dumb newbies, 'cause I are

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Hi. I'm always a little nervous about jumping into a forum--hope everyone here's patient with dumb newbies, 'cause I are one.

Anyhow, here's the problem: Toshiba laptop got infected with Vundo virus, tried many anti-virus & vundo specific tools, & the virus would always reappear (it seemed to actually keep some like spybot search & destroy from running at all). Got disgusted, tried to reinstall OS from recovery discs, install would never complete. Reformatted and repartitioned, then got error message saying hard disc was about to fail whenever I booted. Ran some disc recovery utilities, no go.

So I bought a new hard disc, installed it just now, and tried to boot from recovery disc to as to install XP on it. The computer starts, I get the COMPAQ screen where it tells me to press ESC to change boot order. I tell it to boot from the CD drive, it goes through the bios check and the CD drive runs, then everything just stops & I have a blank screen. When I put the old HD back in, I can boot from the recovery disc just fine, though it still says the hard drive is about to fail and I can't get to windows, but I can get to setup just fine. Is there something about the new HD that could keep the machine from booting from the recovery disc? Or am I just missing some obvious step I should have taken (I really have googled the heck out of this, so I don't think so).

JB

Thanks,
JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

The recovery partition is on the original drive, which means you have to install XP the old fashioned way:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/cont...icles/158.html

This assumes you have an XP Installation cd . . if not, you can request a replacement from Toshiba or borrow an OEM version from someone.

Was this a typo?
Quote:
I get the COMPAQ screen where it tells me to press ESC to change boot order

Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the link, but I think that's what I've already been trying to do. I don't think I explained it very well.

With the old hard drive installed, I put the XP recovery disc that came with the computer into the CD drive, and since I've changed the boot order to CD first, it boots from that CD and puts me into windows setup (after showing me a screen that says SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk O. . . immediately backup your data and replace your hard disc drive. Press F1 to continue). When I press F1, it says press any key to boot from CD, I do, and it goes into windows setup, but if I go through a repair install or reinstall, it won't complete.

With the new hard drive installed, I put in the XP CD and turn on the computer. A screen that has the COMPAQ logo in the middle comes up. At the bottom, it tells me to press ESC to change the boot order or F10 to go into setup (if I choose F10, it goes into the bios settings). When I press ESC it gives me a boot menu (1. floppy drive, 2. cd-rom, etc.) and so I choose boot from the CD-ROM drive where the XP CD is. The CD drive runs for a few moments and stops, and I have a blank screen and that's it, nothing else happens.

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

What are you using to install from? . . Why do you get a COMPAQ logo on a TOshiba?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpswr View Post
What are you using to install from? . . Why do you get a COMPAQ logo on a TOshiba?
Oops. Not a toshiba, a compaq (I need a bumper sticker that says "my other laptop is a toshiba"). My toshiba is what I'm typing on at the moment.

I'm trying to reinstall XP from the OEM disc that came with the Compaq Presario V2000 that's having the problem. With the original hard drive in, I can get to all the setup stuff (the repair console, repair install, etc.), though it won't complete the install. With the new hard drive I just bought, won't do even that.

JB
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Compaq often furishes a Recovery disc . . not a Reinstallation disc . . the Recovery disc will not work without the recovery partition being available.

You should be able to request a Reinstallation cd from HP

Old 01-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #7

Ah, now I get you. Maybe that is indeed the case. Thanks.

JB
Closed Thread