Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Problem adding extra HDD

This is a discussion on Problem adding extra HDD within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. All I can say is: GOOD LUCK! I recently tried to transplant an old XP hard drive into my main

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
B^2

All I can say is: GOOD LUCK!

I recently tried to transplant an old XP hard drive into my main computer because the computer it was in had some sorta problem with it's power supply. But that's not the problem.

I'm having a horrible time trying to get the drive to work. I tried 3 ways of booting it:

Safe Mode: Everything works except for sound which, since I'm using it for gaming, defeats the purpose.

Safe Mode w/ Networking: I get up to the login screen, try to login, and receive an error message telling me that I need to verify/authorize/something the machine (sorta like the iTunes usable-on-5-computers rule I guess). I have to start up out of safe mode to do so, which is rather impossible because:

Normal Boot: The splash screen shows for about 10 seconds before I get hit in the face with a bluescreen. Among other things, it suggests starting in safe mode (tried it), updating drivers (done it), and shutting off hardware that may be causing the problem (didn't help). It also gives me one helluva error code:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBA228750, 0xBA4C3128)

I have one good theory. I'm running a 64-bit rig and the Windows XP on the drive is 32-bit. Are 64-bit processors only reverse-compatible in safe mode? *shrug*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #2

If you are trying to use that hard drive on your computer as the main hard drive, then I believe you will need to perform windows repair.

Try performing windows repair and see if the process helps get the HD working.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The hardware in your old PC and your current PC are different. XP doesn't have the drivers needed/installed for it to boot properly. You can try performing a repair as noted above. For best results, you should perform a fresh install of XP as using the old installation will retain all of the old drivers which are no longer used. This often causes misc hard to troubleshoot problems when trying to update drivers or install new software and hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
The hardware in your old PC and your current PC are different. XP doesn't have the drivers needed/installed for it to boot properly. You can try performing a repair as noted above. For best results, you should perform a fresh install of XP as using the old installation will retain all of the old drivers which are no longer used. This often causes misc hard to troubleshoot problems when trying to update drivers or install new software and hardware.
Performing a fresh install would delete any files he has on that drive. Plus, let's not forget about the license and activation issues.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Is Windows XP 32-bit compatible on a 64-bit system?
https://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Windows..._64-bit_system
Closed Thread