Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Power surge on USB port

This is a discussion on Power surge on USB port within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Toshiba Equium A60 Model PSA67E-00200D87 and every time I

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Exclamation

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have a Toshiba Equium A60 Model PSA67E-00200D87 and every time I put my T Mobile USB stick 120 (ZTE Model Number MF626) into any USB port Windows XP reports an error saying that i have a power surge on the USB Port.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and all the updates are up to date.
I can run other USB devices on the laptop and it doesnt report any errors.
The Laptop is up to date with the most current BIOS and drivers from Toshiba.

Does anyone have any ideas please ?

Thanks In Advance

NewBie1975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #2

Hi,
It's possible that your USB stick is the thing with the problem - possibly a short circuit or something else. (I've had that problem before, and it's usually turned out to be the thing being plugged in that's the problem.) Have you tried another USB mobile broadband stick to see if it does the same thing?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that it wasn't the T Mobile USB stick that was at fault as typically this fault has happened after the warranty has run out!!!!

It used to work ok ?

Newbie1975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIE1975 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that it wasn't the T Mobile USB stick that was at fault as typically this fault has happened after the warranty has run out!!!!

It used to work ok ?

Newbie1975
Well, seeing as your other USB devices seem to work OK... you could try using the stick on another computer and see what happens, and if that failed, then the loss of warranty isn't such a big deal - you could get a similar one from Ebay like this for not too bad a price:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260542985023&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:GB:1123

Good luck :)

EDIT: Just a thought... it's not plugged in through an extension cable, is it? I had a problem with power surges with one of those before, and replacing it seemed to fix the problem.
Closed Thread