Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Possible problem after Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility installation ?

This is a discussion on Possible problem after Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility installation ? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi This is a bit of a convoluted story but here goes... I have an old PC (the oldest of

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #1

hi

This is a bit of a convoluted story but here goes...

I have an old PC (the oldest of several) which in which I want to upgrade 3 PATA HDs for 2 large (500GB) SATA-1 drives.

PC spec = Asus P4 PE, P4 Northwood 533FSB 3.06GHz, 1 GB pc2700 ram, 2 soundcards (I'm a musician), Win XP SP2 etc.

The first thing I did was enable RAID/SATA in BIOS & then install the Promise 376 Fasttrack RAID/SATA driver on all OS partitions (4 in all, spread across the 3 drives).

Now, of course, a get a quick POST message saying that "no RAID/SATA device detected", because I haven't installed them yet. However this message then disappears and my boot manager utility loads as usual (BootIt NG).

Then it occured to me that I hadn't installed either the Intel Application Accelerator or Chipset Software Installation utilities (as listed on the available downloads for P4 PE at Asus site).

So I installed the IAA first on one partition - but when I tried to reboot into this, the "no RAID/SATA" message came up before and after the BootItNG screen and the system rebooted again.

I got it to boot into the partition again & promptly uninstalled the IAA because I thought it was causing me the problem.

Then I installed the Chipset Installation utility.

This time, after rebooting into the "music" partition, many of the music software applications were not sending MIDI to one of the soundcards correctly, and the selected audio drivers had changed (from the ASIO M-audio drivers to onboard Soundmax).

In fact the M- audio O2 USB midi keyboard driver appeared to no longer be functional so I had to reinstall this.

After going through all the software apps and changing the audio / Midi settings back to what they were, things seems OK again now.

I'm obviously concerned that some fundamental changes have been made to the OS now & it is no longer as solid / stable as it used to be.

I don't really want to reinstall as it would take me AGES to install all the software again.

Fortunately I have an image of the partition, but this was taken a while ago - but would still be better than a complete reinstall.

Does this sound like it was caused by the Intel application(s) ?

Do you think I have done lasting damage to the stability of the OS ?

thanks

swayzak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #2

both the chipset and the IAA are supposed to be installed FIRST THING after the install of the OS...I suspect that the later day install is what caused all the drivers to go *poof*...if your system is operating OK at this point just go with it, but if/when you do a wipe and clean install remember to install these items the first time you boot into your clean install, reboot, then carry on with installing other items...
Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozer View Post
both the chipset and the IAA are supposed to be installed FIRST THING after the install of the OS...I suspect that the later day install is what caused all the drivers to go *poof*...if your system is operating OK at this point just go with it, but if/when you do a wipe and clean install remember to install these items the first time you boot into your clean install, reboot, then carry on with installing other items...
thanks - I wasn't aware they were supposed to be installed straight after the OS .... maybe next time I'll read around a little more
Closed Thread