Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

plug and play not working

This is a discussion on plug and play not working within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My printer (HP 6P) stopped working recently. I have used diff 32pin cables, reinstalled 6X, ran windows update, updated drivers

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

My printer (HP 6P) stopped working recently. I have used diff 32pin cables, reinstalled 6X, ran windows update, updated drivers 5X, and unplugged all cables and restarted in the hope that the plug and play will auto detect like it used to.
I know the printer works because it will print a test page, but that's it.
I even tried to update the plug and play drivers in Device Manger to no avail.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

A test page from the pirnters console or a test page from windows.

I assume you mean the console and that does not mean the Printer is OK, that just means most of the internals of the printer are working.

Have you tried to get a c-type connector.
or a USB to LPT converter

I work about 60 hours a week and spend the rest of my time with Family and a couple of online communities, so please be patient when waiting for a reply
Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

A test page from the printer console.

Actually, my mistake, I have been using a C-type male HPCN36 connector. I will have to look into a USB to LPT converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

In that case find the older Centronics 36 pinconnector and give it a try, they tend to work better than the USB to LPT cables

I work about 60 hours a week and spend the rest of my time with Family and a couple of online communities, so please be patient when waiting for a reply
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

I did and nothing but the same.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sorry, either the parallel port on the computer has gone bad or the printer itself.

a new PCI parallel port card is pretty cheap and you can return it if it doesn't fix the problem

Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hey thanks a lot!
I really appreciate your prompt responses.
Now at least I know what to try.
Take care,
Mark
Closed Thread