Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

plug and play not working

This is a discussion on plug and play not working within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys I'm hoping you can help me. I am operating on Windows XP Proffessional and recently my computer would

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys I'm hoping you can help me.

I am operating on Windows XP Proffessional and recently my computer would only get as far as the blue welcome screen.

I was advised to go msconfig and go through the startup services to find out which one was causing the problem.

I discovered that the only way to get my computer to load up properly was to untick plug and play.

However by doing this I have now lost sound on my pc and my printer which is plugged via a usb. Also my pc does not recognise any usb devices.

Any ideas on how i can either fix these problems?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Enthusiast

The Plug and Play service is responsible for loading device drivers so it's probably a bad or incompatible third-party driver that's actually causing Windows to freeze at the Welcome screen, not the Plug and Play service itself. By disabling plug and play you are effectively preventing drivers from loading (including the bad driver) which is why Windows is then able to start.

If Windows is able to start up in safe mode but not normal mode, that's a further indication that it's a most likely a third-party driver problem. Most often it will be a driver that you have very recently installed (and remember, most third-party firewalls and antivirus applications also install drivers). If you can remember the last driver you installed, uninstall it then try restarting Windows normally.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I cannot remember what was the last driver I installed and so is there a way to check which driver it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You mentioned BOSD can you post any minidumps which are locacted in C:\Windows\minidump I believe. The folder may be hidden.

You may need to load Windows in Safe Mode.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If you can boot into Safe Mode, try Driver Verifier to find the bad driver. If your getting BSOD's then run this program BSOD_XP_v1.3_jcgriff2_PROD.exe. after it is done go to My Documents and zip up the file TSF_XP_SUPPORT and attach it in your next post it will include your minidumps and a lot of other information about what is going on in your system.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check pnp is enabled in the bios

Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

hi spunk.funk thank you for your help. I have followed the link and have no zipped the file but how do i attached it to my post?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
Registered Member

zipped file now attached :)
Attached Files
File Type: zip TSF_XP_Support.zip (314.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 2

SYMBOL_NAME: cmaudio+1f67b

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: cmaudio

IMAGE_NAME: cmaudio.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 3dd89c0b

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xfffffffff28aa970 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x7E_cmaudio+1f67b

BUCKET_ID: 0x7E_cmaudio+1f67b

Seems this is an audio issue.
Quote:
cmaudio.sys
Which is in C:/Windows/system32/drivers I think.

Try uninstalling the audio in device manager. Reboot and see if it reinstalls it's self perhaps that will fix the error.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks Jack that appears to have fixed my start up/driver problems :)

I'm now working on getting my audio back as I appear to have lost it all :(
Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

I appear to have gained a new problem whilst trying to get my audio working again.

When I start up windows I get a pop up white info box saying new hardware found CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device then after that I get another pop up saying new hardware found Gameport and then the computer freezes?

Can anybody help :)
Closed Thread