Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

plug and play causes CPU to run at 95-100%

This is a discussion on plug and play causes CPU to run at 95-100% within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've gone through the security part of this site: hxxp://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/virus-trojan-spyware-help/513209-plug-play-problems-after-virus.html#post2894537 Originally Posted by Ried I'm not seeing any malware in

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've gone through the security part of this site:
hxxp://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/virus-trojan-spyware-help/513209-plug-play-problems-after-virus.html#post2894537

Originally Posted by Ried
I'm not seeing any malware in the logs and from the research I've been doing on your problem, it seems to stem from a conflict with one of your plug and play devices.

Since the focus of this section is malware removal, you'd be much better served letting the folks in our Windows XP Support section help you troubleshoot this problem.

THE PROBLEM:The computer doesn't work with "plug and play" checked in the services (msconfig). When "plug and play" is checked, the computer's CPU runs at mostly 100% non-stop. When I uncheck it the computer works fine but then nothing plug and play works.

The trouble started after I clicked on a fake facebook link through email. My antivirus (Avast) asked to abort and I did. But, later the computer started doing funny things like the firewall turning off, some wierd icon in my user accounts (control panel), and the 100% CPU lockup. Update: the firewall works fine now.

I've tried to restore but it's not working.
I've tried to use the recovery system CD but I don't have the admin password (don't know how I forgot it and tried everything).

Any help would make me very greatful!!!! I've already spent about 14hrs backing up and trying to find a solution.

Sorry.. I forgot to mention windows XP is up to date (service pack 3) . Avast was kept up to date. I was able to run avast (full scan found a virus in a user temp folder and moved it to the chest), spybot, ad-aware, malwarebyte, and defender through safe mode.

I hope that's enough information..?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

bump, please?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Troubled

Does Event Viewer mention and significant and/or chronic errors ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

As BlackHatJack suggested, try running Everest Diagnostic software to see if there is any hardware that is malfunctioning (PnP). but it still sounds like your infected.
Closed Thread