Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Please help! Got a bad trojan and am trying to reinstall windows xp but wont let me

This is a discussion on Please help! Got a bad trojan and am trying to reinstall windows xp but wont let me within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a acer travel mate 250 laptop. It was working perfect Until i started running all the windows updates

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #1

I have a acer travel mate 250 laptop. It was working perfect Until i started running all the windows updates and then it seems like when i downloaded win sp3 and i had to reboot A window popped up and said i was infected by a trojan virus. I ran a virus scan and it stated that it got rid of the trojan But now when i start the computer it will sometimes go to the welcome to windows screen and just sit there its not frozen for i can move my mouse. Then when i go to reboot it will go into windows and the desktop will be displayed and the automatic launch email window comes up and then it sits for maybe 30 secs then shuts off. It has been repeating this process. So I went into the bios and changed the bios boot up to where the cd rom is 1st boot up. I put my winxp cd in and boot up the computer and i can hear my cd spinning but then it goes right back to windows xp I cant get it to boot from the cd to reformat and reinstall windows. I have tried everything. Please help. I dont know what else to do. I have tried several different disks and they all spin but its just not booting to the cd. It gos right back to the first screen. Please give me advice In step by step instructions Thank you all so very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

try using safe mode to get into windows.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #3

Reformat & Reinstall is probably not necessary; this is WAY overdone.

Make sure your XP disk is good by seeing if it will boot another computer. If not, make sure you aren't supposed to hit a special key in order to get the computer to boot with a CD.

Otherwise, your optical drive or cable could be bad. Or motherboard.

It's also possible that your "trojan" was a false positive.

What is your AV software ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fren Banklin View Post
Reformat & Reinstall is probably not necessary; this is WAY overdone.

Make sure your XP disk is good by seeing if it will boot another computer. If not, make sure you aren't supposed to hit a special key in order to get the computer to boot with a CD.

Otherwise, your optical drive or cable could be bad. Or motherboard.

It's also possible that your "trojan" was a false positive.

What is your AV software ?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #5

It does the same thing in safemode. In the bios i noticed theres a star icon next to the hard drive and the removable devices but the cdrom drive does not have that Is there something there that could be stopping my cd rom from recognising the cds? Its working cause i hear it spinning but it just doesnt bring the windows program up Im at my wits end. Any other suggestion? I have avg anti virus
Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #6

Have you verified your CD is good by using it to boot another computer ? Can you verify the hardware is good on your computer, by trying to boot using another bootable CD ?

Even if a Repair or New Install is necessary, you are going to need the system to boot to an XP disk.
Closed Thread