Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Performance Issues

This is a discussion on Performance Issues within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For about a week now i have been having serious performance issues. Even when i am doing very little on

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

For about a week now i have been having serious performance issues. Even when i am doing very little on my computer such as using just word, my mouse will move sluggishly and the system for a few seconds will partially lock up and then its fine. I put task manager in the bottom bar so i can monitor my cpu and as i thought, when the system goes sluggish, my cpu is spiking all the way up to 90-100% use and then drops to normal. Have never had these kind of issues before and have been running this same set up for some time now. I ran a couple virus scans, spyware scans, smitfraud fix, chkdsk on the hd, ran windows update, defragmented the hd and still am having this same issue. Is there anything i can get that will tell me exactly what is spiking the system and when? Or is there something else i can do to help this issue. My computer set up is:
Abit KD7A Mobo, Amd 3200+, 1gig Kingston Ram, Lite-on Dvd rw, Lite-On Cd-Rom, Samsung 160 gig Boot drive, 40 gig Wester digital Backup. I am running Windows Xp Sp2, Have Mcafee Security center firewall running, active virus shield running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

When the system goes sluggish open task manager and go to the performance tab. Then click on CPU on the list above the processes. This will list which processes are using the most CPU at that moment. If it does not show the highest CPU user at the top click CPU again to bring the highest resource hog to the top. Also check the show processes from all users checkbox so you can see everything that's running.

BMR777

RusnakWeb - Web Development Tutorials
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm not 100% but it seems to only happen when i have itunes in the background. Itunes appears to be the program that spikes my cpu, even when not in use and just in the background
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Well, you could go to Start > Run and type "msconfig" w/o quotes and then go to the startup tab and uncheck Itunes or Ituneshelper. This will stop ITunes from loading on startup.

BMR777

RusnakWeb - Web Development Tutorials
Closed Thread