Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

PDF files associated with Adobe Reader but have firefox logo

This is a discussion on PDF files associated with Adobe Reader but have firefox logo within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I installed Adobe Reader XI and now I can open all .pdf files with it but all of these files

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I installed Adobe Reader XI and now I can open all .pdf files with it but all of these files still have the Mozilla Firefox icons (I installed firefox before adobe reader and it used to open the pdf files before getting adobe), currently the firefox logo is still associated with all pdf files even after restarting.

It is annoying, everytime I mistaken them for saved webpages

what can I do toward this silly problem, please help.

thanks alot
my regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Game Team Tech

right click on a pdf file then click on properties, it should says open with click on change then from the list choose adobe click apply then ok.
you should see after you have clicked the ok the files have changed to adobe.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

unfortunately, still didn't work

when I double click on a pdf file, it opens/runs with adobe, so pdf's are already associated with adobe reader but their icons are of firefox which is a weird thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

1. Open Adobe Reader
2. Edit->Preferences
3. In the Categories column click 'General'
4. Near the bottom of the page click the button marked 'Select Default PDF Handler'
5 In the dialog, select 'Adobe Reader XI' and click 'Apply'
6. A Windows Configuration screen will appear. Allow it to do its stuff (takes a few minutes), then restart your computer when prompted.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Game Team Tech

in Firefox, To switch from the built-in PDF viewer to another viewer: Click the menu button and choose Preferences. Find Portable Document Format (PDF) in the list and click on it to select it. Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select the PDF viewer you wish to use.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
1. Open Adobe Reader
2. Edit->Preferences
3. In the Categories column click 'General'
4. Near the bottom of the page click the button marked 'Select Default PDF Handler'
5 In the dialog, select 'Adobe Reader XI' and click 'Apply'
6. A Windows Configuration screen will appear. Allow it to do its stuff (takes a few minutes), then restart your computer when prompted.
it worked, thanks alot SF, but I need to know what was that all about, I don't understand what I did, would you please clarify..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32mids View Post
in Firefox, To switch from the built-in PDF viewer to another viewer: Click the menu button and choose Preferences. Find Portable Document Format (PDF) in the list and click on it to select it. Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select the PDF viewer you wish to use.
thank you steve, I never asked this question but really I was going to, you read minds mate
Old 07-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It is partly Firefox's problem and partly Adobe Readers problem. You just reset the Default Handler.
Basically Firefox took the handler and Default Action for it's PDF reader as default. When Adobe Reader took over the default action it did not fully return the Default Handler, which you just reset./
Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Registered Member

interesting to know .. thanks mate
Closed Thread