Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

PCI Board (Multi-Port Serial Adaptor) freezes XP. Plz help me!

This is a discussion on PCI Board (Multi-Port Serial Adaptor) freezes XP. Plz help me! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. Does anyone know anything about the trouble that a PCI board (Multi-Port Serial Adaptor) causes XP freeze? I have

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #1

Hello.
Does anyone know anything about the trouble that a PCI board (Multi-Port Serial Adaptor) causes XP freeze?

I have been trying to install a PCI board (Digi ClassicBoard 8 PCI) which creates 8 COM ports (RS232) and can be connected to 8 cables of RS232. After installing this board and its driver into XP, 8 of "unknown port" appeared in "device manager." Then if I continued to install the drivers for these ports (available from its manufacturer), PC freezes. Now I realized that the drivers of these ports can be intalled when I disable the ports. But when I enabled the ports with their drivers installed, XP completely freezes. No entry is accepted. Even Ctrl + Alt + Del does not work, and I can do nothing but turn off the power of PC.

My PC is DELL Precision 390.

If anyone knows any information about this kind of symptom, would you help me?
Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #2

The only time I've ever seen this was because of wrong flavor of driver. Please verify you have correct one for XP (Digi has all flavors freely downloadable on their web site). Also, the way you describe how installation went sounds incorrect. When the "new hardware found" wizard pops up and you tell it where to find the driver files, there should be a new hardware found popup (or from system tray) for each com port as the installation continues automatically without requiring any input from you. This process should not be interrupted. I've many installations of this board in Dells running XP with no problem. Only XP Pro though, if you have the home edition then maybe that's a problem. I've found these boards very robust and reliable.
Closed Thread