Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

pc won't start - power supply failure?

This is a discussion on pc won't start - power supply failure? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hp pavilion a305w. 512 ram. (i can't look up cpu specs as it won't start) win xp, sp2 OK here's

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #1

hp pavilion a305w. 512 ram. (i can't look up cpu specs as it won't start) win xp, sp2
OK here's the deal. I play an online game that would randomly crash and give me crc errors that would directly reference a file in that game.
thinking that was a game specific error, i left it alone for the 5 days i went visiting for xmas. got home today, powered on the pc, and........nothing.
it will not boot.
so i unplug everything except the tower and the monitor.
still won't boot up.. no PS running, nothing.
so i unhook the monitor.. then it will boot. all systems are go, but i can't do anything with it....cuz the monitor isn't hooked up. so i go to hook that up, and as soon as it touches the back of the case (and there is no static here) the box stops running.
completely. as soon as i move the cord for the monitor, its all good. it'll boot again.
so any ideas on wth is goin on with this?
no i do not have another monitor to test with it.. its xmas eve, and i doubt any of my frenz will think this an emergency to leave their familys over.
please please please please help me figure out what is wrong with this thing. i have to get it working so i can trade it in for a better one, or i'm SOL for a pc for the forseeable future!!!!! (haha)
thans bunches in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #2

Okay, this could be two things: the power-supply or the monitor, both of which you'll need to find another of, at least for testing purposes. If you get the power-supply then make sure it's the same type and make (look on your computer and give us the MODEL number for your specific computer, this'll give us the specs we need to determine what kind of power-supply you need). I don't think it has anything to do with your game, but it could very well have something to do with your graphics and/or your video card as well. Is it the power, or the dv15 pluggin (that's the plug where you hook it to the comp itself, NOT power, the other one) that messes it up?

Most likely this is a power-supply matter as you pointed out and that'll require a replacement. Those things cost alot, so if you can find a used computer at the dump or something or go to a local hospital and buy one for cheap, or have a friend with one they don't use cuz it's broke or something i'd do that, but make sure it's compatible!

God Bless and In Him,

Eric
Old 12-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #3

I agree, I think that is my problem, but I am a bit confused...Why would the pc power up w/o the monitor, but as soon as the monitor touches the back plate, power down &/or flux back and forth between power ups and down (basically it clicks and shuts on and off and on and off over and over)
I have a different monitor coming later today or tomorrow to see if it is specifically my monitor doing this.
This pc is 4 yrs old and was a Bundled pack sold at Wal-Mart by HP.
here are the only specs i can find on it. https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=362754

thx in advance, this is driving me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #4

Does your monitor power up and display anything without being plugged into your computer (like a setup screen)?

If your monitor and computer were plugged into different wall receptacles, there's a possibility that one of the two receptacles is not wired correctly causing a ground short. Try plugging BOTH monitor and computer into same receptacle and starting the system.

Happy New Year
Old 12-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #5

Actually Yes, my monitor does show a screen saying sumthing about 'no video feed' when its powered up and not into the back of the tower.
I guess that means my power supply is gone, huh? **cries**
Old 12-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #6

hello ,

this is not the case !!

this sounds like it may be the motherboard !!!

it could be the VIDEO card that has taken a dive on you

is your video card a added card or is it integrated video that is run off of the motherboard ?

do you have 2 video ports on the back of your tower for video / if so that means that you have a added card & integrated graphics

try removing the added video card then hooking up the monitor to the motherboard directly

also your internal system may need to be cleaned !!!you will need to open the tower to check this also to remove the card

make sure you have touched the metal parts of the tower befor touching any componets inside the case so that you won't give the system a static shock

Mike
Closed Thread