Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

PC wont complete boot up

This is a discussion on PC wont complete boot up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Left computer on overnight, I usually just move the mouse and its business as usual. Finance, for some reason flops

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Left computer on overnight, I usually just move the mouse and its business as usual. Finance, for some reason flops down at my PC ??? grr. I woke up sat down at my PC and it was off? turned it on and it starts to boot but stops on the microsoft screen then goes black. this continues back and forth same action over and over again. later on noticed keyboard wasnt responding, plugged it into a different usb, came on but seems to work when windows starts up but stops when the boot process stops as well. i ran system checks etc. dont understand alot of the tech information, I do okay removing viruses and other fixes but Im out of my league here. I did get a couple of "graphics error messages" didnt understand them so just continued the diagnostics.
prior to my registering I was reading posts on your site and found a couple of posts that seem to be associated with my problem. ie, computer not booting up, screen going black, keyboard not responding. thats whats happening. I need your help badly, my appreciation would be enormous. thank you. Im using my bo's work laptop at this time.

leann=(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi leannaluv,

Use "Ultimate Boot CD" to diagnos the hardware on your computer. Here is the link to the Ultimate Boot CD website: Ultimate Boot CD - Overview. Put the program onto a CD and boot the computer to it. Then test the computer hardware such has motherboard, ram, and cpu to to make sure they all work fine.

Another thing you can do is to perform a "Check Disk Repair" on your computer. Boot the computer to your Windows XP CD and on the main menu, choose "R" to go to the recovery console. Then on the repair console, type in "chkdsk /r" to perform a check disk repair. Make sure there is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r". Hope everything works out for you.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
computer wizard

Firstly I would try to boot your pc in safe mode,from there access system restore and restore your computer to a earlier time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Hi leannaluv,

Use "Ultimate Boot CD" to diagnos the hardware on your computer. Here is the link to the Ultimate Boot CD website: Ultimate Boot CD - Overview. Put the program onto a CD and boot the computer to it. Then test the computer hardware such has motherboard, ram, and cpu to to make sure they all work fine.

Another thing you can do is to perform a "Check Disk Repair" on your computer. Boot the computer to your Windows XP CD and on the main menu, choose "R" to go to the recovery console. Then on the repair console, type in "chkdsk /r" to perform a check disk repair. Make sure there is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r". Hope everything works out for you.
This is what Ive done thus far. I will follow your direction from this point forward. below is what has transformed.. thx

Hope you dont mind but I was searching around the forum trying to find posts that could possibly be related to mine or similar in some way. The play by play being posted by bobthekilla8 who was getting assistance from etaf is exactly what my pc screens are displaying to a T. I did the F8 u suggested and somehow opened the page that runs diagnostics. I ran every single one of them top to bottom.
OBIST OPU TEST,,,
Under pci devices -intel onboard video -vendor 8086 & 10c0 ethernet controller telling me delldiag detected these that they couldnt diag? vendor supplied diag could?
then did the express test ... and error code 0f00 137B -IDE device failed blank media or no media is present in optical drive, resource cd/installion cd.
can u help me
Old 04-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannaluv View Post
IDE device failed blank media or no media is present in optical drive, resource cd/installion cd.
The test in the quote was testing your CD Drive and telling you that there is no disc in the drive to fully test it.
If you have a Restore CD or an XP CD boot off of that (Hit F12 to change the boot order to CD Drive first boot device) Get to the Recovery Console and type chkdsk /R and press enter. the Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobarapas View Post
Firstly I would try to boot your pc in safe mode,from there access system restore and restore your computer to a earlier time,
Tried that, I select safe mode and it takes me to the blk and wht page xp professional ... click on it... which on other computer in past would open windows.. not here. goes directly back to trying to boot getting stuck on the microsoft windows xp page then goes to the page or vise versa .. lol sorry. Whats strange during and inbetween these two screens opening, my monitor keep running analog adjustments and inputs ? DELL /bios revision 1.0.11 /upper right shoing F12 -setup and F2 boot menu

I also got this info after diag test.
Hope you dont mind but I was searching around the forum trying to find posts that could possibly be related to mine or similar in some way. The play by play being posted by bobthekilla8 is exactly what my pc screens are displaying to a T. I did the F8 u suggested and somehow opened the page that runs diagnostics. I ran every single one of them top to bottom.
OBIST OPU TEST,,,
Under pci devices -intel onboard video -vendor 8086 & 10c0 ethernet controller telling me delldiag detected these that they couldnt diag? vendor supplied diag could?
then did the express test ... and error code 0f00 137B -IDE device failed blank media or no media is present in optical drive, resource cd/installion cd.
can u help me
Old 04-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
The test in the quote was testing your CD Drive and telling you that there is no disc in the drive to fully test it.
If you have a Restore CD or an XP CD boot off of that (Hit F12 to change the boot order to CD Drive first boot device) Get to the Recovery Console and type chkdsk /R and press enter. the Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
I burned this cd from here but cant get to work. do you have a link that I can burn a boot cd from?
I can access the boot menu, I saw something on that page earlier regarding the boot order. I didnt do anything, too scared. not familiar so I just exited. ??

https://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/suppor...2_v416_b00.iso
Old 04-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your download looks fine, but you have to burn the Image with a burning software program not just make a Data CD. We suggest using IMGBurn. You also have to change the boot order to be CD rom drive first. Don't worry, Boot order goes through all of your boot devices until it finds one that it can boot from. (ex) if HDD is first and it's bootable the computer will try to boot off of that, but if CD drive is first and you have a bootable dics in it, the computer will boot off of CD. If there is no disc in the CD drive or a non-bootable one, then the computer goes to the next bootable device like your HDD.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Im on my bo's work computer and it blocks almost everything, its really secure.. so Im limited to what I can access. when I tried to access the ultimate boot > suggested from one of the other techs here. i was blocked .. =( but will try and go to this site and do what u said k.. >

I got into the boot menu but totally confused. it mentioned something about first so I clidked cdrom, "got from the order list" then somehow I ended up in dos giving me choices of ? i didnt respond to two different choices. then I ended up on a teal blue page from hitachi granting me permission to use their software once and once only promising not to copy, share etc.. name is;end user license agreement for the hatachi drive fitness test.. Im just looking at it.. not done anything?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

opened the site and saw the graphic but got totally lost when I tried to place file there to burn. eyes started hurting.. omg.. im so screwed huh.. what do you suggest next..
Im sorry.. Im trying. ive been at this since 7 am this morn...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

I received the following in a PM from leannaluv:

Quote:
Hi
I just got access to a computer, Ive been hard at it all day trying to fix mine. Here is where Im at thus far.

I somehow figured out how to boot up from my xp pro disc. wasnt sure if I had the right one with code etc. but it looked as if everything was working, it installed, got all the way to the logon page and the username Johnsobn came up with no password. so I called my bo, it was his old work computer back in the day. he gave me one, it didnt work.

So I went into setup changed supervisor and user passwords. still doesnt work.

you know how the " activation message comes up? I said y.. bad idea, when I do that the screen just goes blk and sits. so I have to unplug and start again. Next time I said no, and have gone back and forth with the passwords Ive changed not working.

What have I done now Im affraid to ask.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I ended up on a teal blue page from hitachi granting me permission to use their software once and once only promising not to copy, share etc.. name is;end user license agreement for the hatachi drive fitness test.. Im just looking at it.. not done anything?
OK if you run the Hitachi Drive fitness test, it will check your HDD for bad sectors and general Health. If it fails, then you know you have to replace your HDD.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
Registered Member

EEK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
OK if you run the Hitachi Drive fitness test, it will check your HDD for bad sectors and general Health. If it fails, then you know you have to replace your HDD.
I did all test and all but the rear speakers audio ?? didnt pass. I also decided to do a quick ck just good measure and I got this erroe code;
Error code 0F00 137B IDE device failed Blank media or no media is present in optical drive.. resource cd, installation cd. This was prior to me reinstalling xp again. see post earlier this evening. I posted everything I did up to now.
Ive been able to open the recovery page but didnt know what command to enter, I tried chkdsc but didnt know the /r ? couldnt remember it. exited out and just let install a fresh install? which probably has the same errors on it huh? .I hope Im not confusing you guys. Im sure not meaning to. thx for your help
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
just let install a fresh install? .......... I hope Im not confusing you guys.
You are confusing me, anyway ..... so I can only presume that the other helpers are also getting a little confused.

It seems that you have performed an "install" or a "repair install" of Windows on the existing Windows system.

Quote:
I somehow figured out how to boot up from my xp pro disc ......... it installed, got all the way to the logon page and the username Johnsobn came up with no password.
I am guessing from the above quote, that you performed a "repair installation" of Windows, and that it was apparently successful. That leaves you with the problem of needing the formerly used password in order to be able to logon to Windows.

Does that seem correct to you? If you could logon to Windows, things should be working again, with any luck?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Do you have only the one hard disk drive in your computer?
What brand is the hard disk drive? Is it made by Hitachi?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
I went into setup changed supervisor and user passwords. still doesnt work.
The supervisor and user passwords in "setup" (BIOS) are not related to the password used to access Windows at the logon page, so changing those passwords is not going to help you at all
Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
Registered Member

Recovery console recovering or repairing right now... fingers
Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
Recovery console recovering or repairing right now...
Sorry, but that just does not make any sense at all. It seems highly unlikely that you are using the Recovery Console.
Edit: Do you perhaps mean that you booted from the XP installation CD and are "recovering or repairing now"?

Please describe exactly the steps you have taken/are taking now (what you see on the screen and what you select).

Are you using the Recovery Console? What commands?
OR
Are you performing a "repair installation" of Windows?
OR
Are you installing Windows on an existing Windows system OR did you partition and format the hard disk drive before beginning the installation of Windows?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Recovery console recovering or repairing right now... fingers
I cant do it. my neck is killing me. I dont have a clue what Im doing. I install to the recovery thought I was headed in the right direction, right. Im so done. Im probably going to smah it into a 1000 peices here shortly . Ineed my pc to work this will be the 3rd day. Im so screwed.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Take a deep breath, calm yourself OOOOOMMMMMMM, think happy thoughts. Ok walk away for awhile. When your ready and your neck isn't killing you.
Boot off of the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
Closed Thread