Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

PC idles at Intel screen at startup...

This is a discussion on PC idles at Intel screen at startup... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Well, just a few days ago, whenever I would go to start my computer it would idle at the Intel

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #1

Well, just a few days ago, whenever I would go to start my computer it would idle at the Intel screen(Displays the Intel name and processor). I havn't done anything new at all to the computer, and have no idea why it could be doing this. I also can't access the BIOS or the os-choice/safe mode etc menu anymore, it ignores when I hit F8 for menu or del for bios(hitting the key a few times, of course). :(
My specs are:
Windows XP home SP2
845G intel motherboard
Intel Celeron D 2.66ghz
onboard graphics/sound
768mb ddr400 ram
30gb HDD(2.5gigs remaining)
Will post any more if needed. Any help is appreciated... :)
Not sure if this should go here or in another section, so feel free to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Sounds like your BIOS settings are whacko. I would clear CMOS and see if that helps your cause.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #3

Do you know how I would go about doing that?
I googled 'clearing CMOS'(w/out quotes) and got a few different answers. :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoltlink
Do you know how I would go about doing that?
I googled 'clearing CMOS'(w/out quotes) and got a few different answers. :(
Hi,

You can use one of two processes:

1) There is a jumper that is the clear cmos jumper. It should be located not too far from the battery area on most boards. It might be called CLRTC or Clear RTC. You just move that jumper from pins one and two, to pins two and three. Wait about ten minutes and put it back. Then fire it up and it should be cleared. Select default settings when it comes back up.

2) Just take out the battery (make sure you put it back the same way) for about ten minutes, then put it back in and fire it up and it should be cleared. Select default settings when it comes back up.

If you have a motherboard manual, it should show in there where the jumper is. Use the method that is easiest for you...they both work.

If you need further help, feel free to post back.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #5

Alright, thanks!
One question though: Do I leave it to pins 3 and 4 when the ten minutes are up, or put it back?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Alright, thanks!
One question though: Do I leave it to pins 3 and 4 when the ten minutes are up, or put it back?
Hi,

You move it to pins 2 and 3, and yes, you must move it back before you power up. It is now in pins 1 and 2, and you move it to pins 2 and 3, and then move it back.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #7

Alright, it partly fixed it.
I can now access the BIOS and safe mode/os choice menu, but it still takes 2-4 minutes to get past that part. :(
Old 12-10-2005, 03:43 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Alright, it partly fixed it.
I can now access the BIOS and safe mode/os choice menu, but it still takes 2-4 minutes to get past that part. :(
Hi,

Can you access system restore now. If so, set the thing back to a date when it was working fine for you, because I suspect something has changed the way it operates.

Post back and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #9

Bah, sorry for the slow reply. :(
Anyway, no, I can't access system restore, for some reason it says there is not enough space on my hard drive.(I still have a decent amount of space, more than it should need.)
Any other suggestions? :(
Should mention that I freed up enough space, so I now have 9gigs left.
Also should add that it no longer lets me go into BIOS or go into the os choice menu.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:46 AM   #10

Bump....:(
Old 12-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #11

Sorry for the triple post, but forgot to mention that I got system restore to work, and went to a point in May 2004, and the problem wasn't fixed.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry for the triple post, but forgot to mention that I got system restore to work, and went to a point in May 2004, and the problem wasn't fixed.
Hi,

Did you try several old restore points? Some times one will work but the other one won't. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Also, after you try that, I think it is time for you to summarize again, exactly what your computer does at this point. We need to understand since you have cleared CMOS what is happening at this point (old info not much use here now). When you boot up, what happens, how far does it get, what errors do you get, etc....you get the picture.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #13

Alrighty:
I turn it on, it stays at the Intel screen which displays processor name, intel, etc(POST screen I think?)For around four minutes.
After it gets past that, the white underscore appears for a few seconds, but wont let me into BIOS or safe mode selection menu.
Then it proceeds to boot up windows.
It wont boot from a cd at this point, either.

I have tried:
clearing cmos
3 different restore points
spyware/virus check
windows repair install
updating drivers
Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Alrighty:
I turn it on, it stays at the Intel screen which displays processor name, intel, etc(POST screen I think?)For around four minutes.
After it gets past that, the white underscore appears for a few seconds, but wont let me into BIOS or safe mode selection menu.
Then it proceeds to boot up windows.
It wont boot from a cd at this point, either.

I have tried:
clearing cmos
3 different restore points
spyware/virus check
windows repair install
updating drivers
Hi,

When you said you did the Repair Install, was it successful? How did your computer act differently after you did that. If you were able to complete the repair install, did you go back and re-load your chipset drivers and other drivers that may have been lost....how about SP2, is that presently loaded?

You said your CDRom won't load, do you mean it won't work at all? If not, how is it jumpered and where on which cable is it located? If it won't work, how did you do the repair install?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #15

What I meant from wont boot from a cd was that if I, say, put in a windows install cd then restarted my comp, it would just ignore it.
My windows cd let me start repairing by just inserting it while windows was running.
However, it didn't act any differently. All of my data was still there, except I did need to update my drivers.
Didn't fix or even change the problem. SP2 is still loaded.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
What I meant from wont boot from a cd was that if I, say, put in a windows install cd then restarted my comp, it would just ignore it.
Hi,

For this first problem, is your boot order in the BIOS setup menu set to:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Drive - 3rd (boot drive)
Old 12-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #17

That's what I was going to do, however, it wont let me into the BIOS.
I've tried tons of different keys, just wont work. Used to just fine.
Bah, need to log out for a few hours. Will be back soon.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Take out all ram and put only one stick in at a time and see if that helps. Be sure that you have that stick in the proper slot as shown by your motherboard manual.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #19

Got back sooner than expected.
I'll do that now,but is there anything different about taking it out/putting it back in than originally putting it in?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Got back sooner than expected.
I'll do that now,but is there anything different about taking it out/putting it back in than originally putting it in?
Hi,
No difference. Take out the two sticks, leave the one (in the proper slot), then try it. When you are done with that, then take that one out and put another one in that slot., etc.
Closed Thread