Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

PC freezes randomly

This is a discussion on PC freezes randomly within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My PC will freeze at random, sometimes as it's booting up, sometimes 5 minutes into use, as I'm writing it

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

My PC will freeze at random, sometimes as it's booting up, sometimes 5 minutes into use, as I'm writing it hasn't frozen for 20 mins or so. There is no indicator as to when it will happen.

Things I have changed since the problem started: I added an Audigy SoundBlaster SE and intalled the drivers over a week ago. I added a 2.1 speaker system (incl. sub) but I have experienced freezing even when the power is switched off at the mains. I added a D-Link USB hub a few days ago which has my modem, external HDD and MP3 cable plugged in. Other than that I have installed MAME32 (a computer game emulator) and that's about it.

I'm running WinXP Pro (SP2), I have a 400w power supply, AMD 2700xp, 512 DDR. Anything else you need to know please ask.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #2

Hi,

Welcome To TSF.

Can you get into safe mode?

Jay.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #3

Thanks, I've been looking for a decent tech support forum

I haven't tried, I am guessing yes I can get into safe mode. It's odd though, because my PC hasn't crashed for about 45 mins. I'll keep trying to diagnose the problem though.

What are you suggesting about safe mode?

-AudiTy =o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

I would see if it works first, then run

sfc /scannow (Start >> Run >> sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc and /scannow))

Scan for spyware,malware using Avg Anti Spyware (Link Here)

Scan for virus Avg Anti Virus Plus (Link Here)

and see what they come back with

and run disk management. (Start >> Programs >> accessories >> system tools >> disk defragment)
Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll do a scan and defrag and report back.

-AudiTy =o
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
computer just freezes randomly. need help
So my windows vista pc just freezes randomly and this has only happened in the past couple of days. When it freezes i cant do anything and i have to restart my computer. I have no idea what to do and i could really use some help. Thanks for your time.
mp1434 Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 0 06-22-2007 02:01 PM
Freezes, BSOds and restarts randomly
Hi everyone, My computer freezes, restarts and gives BSODs at its own will. I have been havin this pbm for quite some time now(abt 6 months) and my comp is 4 yrs old. While the freezes and restarts occur randomly, the BSODs usually come up when i try to use file sharing (p2p)software or while...
nfsjag RAM and Power Supply Support 2 04-06-2007 10:13 AM
Help: PC freezes randomly
This is a new Systemax PC bought from Office Depot. The motherboard is Biostar U8668-D V5. CPU P4 2.6G, one stick 256MB RAM. The machine randomly freezes up, usually a few minutes after reset or reboot. I have tried the follow and hope folks can help to determine the actual problem. To...
blueking Motherboards, Bios & CPU 3 07-17-2005 10:41 AM
XP Freezes at login screen and randomly
My appologies if this exact topic has been covered. I scanned through previous threads and did not find it. So anyway... I am running XP Pro SP2. Been running it since SP2 was available and before that was running SP1 for about a year with no problems. Suddenly I am getting major freezes. ...
taralius Windows XP Support 3 05-02-2005 05:27 AM
My Pc Freezes Randomly
HI, I use win98SE with Zonealarm security suite which has integrated Antivrus program. My problem is that My pc freezes without any rhyme or reason, whenever I click to start some program it freezes, the only solution is reset even Alt+ctrl+del does not work. this doesnt happen all the timebut...
gopsnair Win 98 & ME Support 4 12-04-2004 11:53 AM