Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

PC crashed, files gone

This is a discussion on PC crashed, files gone within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HP a122n Computer Win XP SP2 Athlon 64 x2 3800, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HD So here's my problem, Few

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #1

HP a122n Computer
Win XP SP2
Athlon 64 x2 3800, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HD

So here's my problem,

Few days ago I started up my PC as I normally would and it froze once it reached the desktop. Pushed the button on the front til it shut down, press it again to start it back up. Brought up chkdsk, completed step 1, restarted the PC during Step 2, did that 2 more times.
At this time I started to panic so of course I do something really stupid. My PC comes with a HP recovery partition, so I press F10 to go into that thinking I can repair it from that(Never really paid much attention to the partition from there). I start the process thinking it will repair my system or atleast prompt before it does anything bad. Turns out it doesn't and it starts to reformat my system, it gets to 2% before I turn off the computer.
Start it up again and NTLDR is missing, I replace it from an old XP upgrade disc, restart again and hal.dll is missing. Can`t fix that due to only having an XP upgrade disk.
Next day I take it to my local computer repair shop thinking they can repair Windows and everything will be fine. Turns out my entire C partition(250 GB) is gone and I know I not sure what to do. Tomorrow I believe the repair shop is going to reload Windows from the D partition which started this all ion the first place and something I could probably do myself.

Now the main reason why I`m posting this is I stupidly don`t have everything backed and have some really important files on my PC. From doing some research tonight I think the files are still there and could be recovered, but reinstalling Windows could mess that up. SO now I`m just looking for any advice on what to do next.

I can answer any questions and thanks for any help that you can provide :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #2

hello & welcome to TSF ,

follow this link

https://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html

you can get a program that can do this here

some of them are (freeware / shareware / or you have to purchase them
Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #3

Thanks for your response and thanks for welcoming me to your great site.

Will the files still be there after my computer is restored to its factory state? I'd assume some would be overwritten due to Windows being reinstalled, but would the rest still be there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #4

okay ,

the more you use your pc the more less of a chance of recovery

you can pay for one of those programs that are at the link i gave you for as the saying goes

you only get what you pay for

just make sure that read & reread what is going on with the program that you are useing so that you don't pay for a bogus program / research the program / go to its home site /

do your home work
Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #5

Will do, thanks again.

I had about 190GB of stuff and Windows only takes up about 9GB so logically most of it should still be there.
Closed Thread