Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Overheat and shutdown!

This is a discussion on Overheat and shutdown! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys. I need your help, my pc shuts down whenever i play medal of honor/counterstrike, do anything intensive with

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hey guys.

I need your help, my pc shuts down whenever i play medal of honor/counterstrike, do anything intensive with CPU and GPU.

speedfan has GPU at 51 degrees, temp 1 @ 117 degrees and core at 111 degrees.
these are all celcius...
Ive reseated the processor, cleaned and reapplied arctic silver yesterday, and today it did the same.

Also it chucks up a silly error with a fan spinning at 135000 RPM... would keep it cold if it was doing that

Any idea why its not cooling enough, i mean the side of the case is off...so its ventilated really well..

edit : forgot specs..
AMD x2 dual core 5200+
3gb ram
nvidia 9500GT 512 gfx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

OS: Windows 98se/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 Pro/10 Pro/10 "Insider" / Linux(various)

Hi Paddy

My first guess would be that SpeedFan isn't reading things correctly for your board. My next guess is that SpeedFan might also be not only reading the speed of the cpu fan incorrectly, it might be slowing it down.

Try uninstalling SpeedFan, and test to see if the game causes a shutdown.

The other thing I'd check -- when the system shuts off, unplug the power & ground yourself -- and see if the cpu is burning hot. Check the gpu too. If the cpu truly seems overheated, try a different fan. If you are overclocking the cpu at all, revert to stock speeds (on everything: cpu, gpu, memory, power). If you have a gaming motherboard, check the settings in the Bios to make sure you're not overclocking something unintentionally.

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Old 01-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi mate
Speedfan and my BIOS health status show my CPU in excess of 100.
No overclocking, and i installed speedfan after the overheat to check the temps...speedfan refuses to control my fanspeed aswell. :(

The heatsink was way too hot to touch when it shutdown last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again

I'd ditch that version of SpeedFan for now (and not use any version of SpeedFan until things prove to get a little cooler).

The readings in the Bios, if taken just after an overheat event, will be slightly cooler than things were when the shutdown occurred (obviously) - but they should be fairly close to accurate.

I still think that taking a "fine-tooth-comb" approach to your Bios settings is worth a shot. I'm guessing that the cpu is getting too much juice & is running too far over spec. Is the Bios detecting the cpu accurately?

If you want to try the QuickFix approach, you could simply use the "Set Defaults & Exit" settings-reset that most motherboards include as an option in the Bios.

If neither of those angles work, are you certain that the cpu fan is OK? If it is a "temperature controlled" fan (where the speed varies by the temperature that its sensor detects), perhaps its sensor is defective. I think it'd be worth a try with a different fan.

I imagine that you aren't undervolting the fan to reduce fan-noise, right? (Some Zalman fans ship with either fixed undervoltage gadgets, or a little knob to vary the power/speed).

And I suppose you could try under-clocking the cpu as a last resort.

Interesting case -- I hope it works out OK.
. . . Gary
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi

I took the PC to work with me and stripped it down, turns out my heatsink had an obscene amount of dust in it, as well as the fan.

By obscene i mean all the gaps were loaded!!

Cleaned it out, cleaned fan, reapplied now im running a healthy 13 degrees!!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

Much better. Good work!
. . . Gary
Closed Thread