Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Outlook Express Spell Check Language

This is a discussion on Outlook Express Spell Check Language within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm hoping someone here can help me. I just bought a new

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

I wasn't sure where to post this but I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I just bought a new netbook for travel and I have a problem with Outlook Express.

I bought the Acer Aspire One which I absolutely love except for an issue with the spell check.

When I go to spelling in the options the only language available is French. I don't know how to download or figure out how to get it to offer english.

Right now I'm not using the Microsoft Word program that was loaded because it's a trial basis program. I plan to uninstall it and install Office 2000 once I get an external drive.

Is there a way to download the english dictionary?

Thanks for any help!

-L-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #2

Hello & welcome to TSF,

Outlook express does not have a spell checker of its own. This from the OE Help Page:
Outlook Express uses the spelling checker provided with the following Microsoft Office programs: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
It must, therefore be trying to use the French Spellchecker from one of the listed installed programs. You could try to find out which one has a French checker and alter that to English.
A FREE stand-alone spell checker for OE is available from here:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #3

Thanks Mike,

That did the trick. I knew OE tried to access MS Word for it's spelling and didn't think I would find a stand alone spell check. It's downloaded and installed.
I'm good to go.

Thanks again.

-L-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #4

Hello ,

glad to have helped

have a good one & may they just get better
Closed Thread