Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Outlook express sending/receiving

This is a discussion on Outlook express sending/receiving within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have PC with XP windows. On the outlook express V6. I have two email accounts one for Hotmail and

Old 01-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have PC with XP windows. On the outlook express V6. I have two email accounts one for Hotmail and the other is for yahoo. I am using both of them to send/receive email from both of them. Suddenly the Hotmail account stopped sending and receiving. I am getting the message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account:'Hotmail', Server: 'pop.mail.outlook.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I get another message with error Number: 0x800CCC0B when I try to send an email.
I have tried changing the port numbers to 25, 2525, 587 but none helped. I also tried to change *.com name to 'pop3.mail.msn.com' but this didn't help.
In the mean time the yahoo account is working properly. If anyone could help resolving this problem it is highly appreciated.
Esmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

pop-mail.outlook.com Note dash rather than dot.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team

I would try testing out with another e-mail client that is still in support that runs under Windows XP.

Microsoft stopped supporting Outlook Express many years ago and it would not surprise me one bit if they have now blocked it from accessing their servers.

Doing a test with a different e-mail client will give you some useful data. I'd also take the opportunity presented to switch from POP to IMAP access protocol, but you need to do your test using POP just to see if you get the same error, some other error, or no error using a different e-mail client. But delete the account and set it up again using IMAP access immediately afterward.

I know that Windows Live Mail 2012 will still run under Windows XP, and I archived it on Google drive at the link given approximately 5 days before Microsoft pulled it from their downloads. It's part of Windows Live Essentials 2012 (ZIP format), and you can choose to install only Windows Live Mail 2012 when running the installer.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Corday: Thank you. You are right about the dash. It is typo error.
Britechguy: Thank you for your reply. I am using yahoo with outlook without problem. And when I tried to switch from POP3 to IMAP as you suggested I found that POP3 is hardwired and cannot be changed. I would like to mention that the OE6 was working fine until few weeks ago. I searched the internet for a resolution but in vain.
Esmat is offline   Reply With Quote