Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Opening Regional and Language Options

This is a discussion on Opening Regional and Language Options within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. I plan to take a Japanese class in the fall, and I'm trying to install the East Asian

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:00 PM   #1

Hi there.

I plan to take a Japanese class in the fall, and I'm trying to install the East Asian Language files in Windows XP.

I know exactly where to find it and the steps I follow once I get there. My problem is, the option won't open.

I go to Control Panel, I double click Regional and Language Options. Nothing happens. I click it once, and use the right mouse button menu to select open. Nothing. I make a shortcut to it on my desktop and try that. Nothing. I restart and try again. Nothing. I googled everything I can think of, and I'm not finding anyone else with this problem.

It's like the menu doesn't exist, and only the icon remains. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows. Anyone know what I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 12:17 AM   #2

Are you logged on as the Administrator of this machine?
You have to be.

Are you in a Domain?
There might be Group Policies in effect to keep you from making any changes in these options. Discuss with the Network Administrator.

If you are the Administrator on a stand-alone workstation, or in a Workgroup (not Domain) setting, your issue is discussed in this MS KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;309433

To fix:

Highlight the following line and hit Ctrl+c (a Copy text command)

reg delete "hku\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\MUILanguagePending" /v

Next: click Start button, Run, and type: cmd

Ctrl+ v (a Paste command)

Hit the enter key. Approve the deletion if asked.

exit

Reboot and test.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #3

Thank you for the suggestions. I am the administrator for this computer, and I am not in a domain.

The registry value the article discussed did not exist when I looked for it, but I tried your command.

I got 'Error: System was unable to find the specified registry key or value'.
Closed Thread