Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onboard audio - No sound

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jim@HiTek 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

So I am back with another problem :smile:

I've put a computer together here using my motherboard out of what used to be my computer. Sound and audio were working fine in that setup. Now on this one everything is working ***** and span except the sound.

I have no audio playing out of the audio jack from the motherboard. I've went through about 8 different drivers which 'should' of worked and I really can't find another variation that I could be missing on the net. Downloaded the mother board audio drivers from Gigabyte and the rest were variations of the audio thing that's on it.

The odd thing, at least in my opinion is that there is nothing flagged in device manager if i play any sound on a player it does show that its playing. It does not say I am missing any driver or anything of the sorts. Just does play any sound :4-dontkno

Here are the details...
XP Pro SP3
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8I915P Dual Graphic
-Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio [1002-AA60] [NoDB] PCI
-C-Media CMI9880 @ Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1] PCI

And a extra card I through in in hopes to by pass the on board sound and just play from a sound card... But no dice, same deal of no sound.
C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device PCI

Any Ideas?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So you put another computer together
"using my motherboard out of what used to be my computer"
The technician in me would wonder if you have experience doing this because I immediately wonder if there is a board short. Once we establish your experience level with computer builds we can ask the pertinent questions. No offense, it helps to know & saves time. :wink:

#3 ·
Hi Jim :wave:

I sure did, (I'm sure I can guess what your thinking) its actually nearly all the parts of the last one you helped try to solve with the restart issue, and the mother board with video card of the computer I was using as my main. Thanks to the power of kijiji I put together a nice up to date computer that's running a Phenom II overclocked stable to 3.6ghz as a early christmas present to myself. So I would say I do have semi-decent knowledge of how it works. I didn't have any complications with either system or the couple I've built in the past out of older parts. I'd say a hobbyist if I had to judge my level? :4-dontkno

Oh and the PC with the the BSOD/restart issue runs nearly perfect with the "new" motherboard. Just the sound.

#4 ·
OK, did you check BIOS? Sometimes there is a setting to use a PCI sound card so when you tried the extra card you need to configure BIOS for it. If you did that, and turned off the onboard sound device, did you remember to turn it back on after you ran your test? I guess I'm wondering which sound device are you using now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.