Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Old Dell Dimension 4700???

This is a discussion on Old Dell Dimension 4700??? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an old Dell Dimension 4700 that was working just fine. I tried to add a 2nd hard drive

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I have an old Dell Dimension 4700 that was working just fine. I tried to add a 2nd hard drive to it. And I turned it on and nothing It powers on. But nothing on the monitor? I thought maybe the HD went bad. I tested the HD in another computer and it worked fine. I thought maybe the video card went. I have tried several and not fixing the problem. I can't get into Windows or see anything on the monitor at all

Any ideas please feel free to share. Thanks

I tried replacing the Bios battery also and no change

Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP on the Hard Drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

First and foremost, please provide the computers specs of your Dell Dimension 4700 when you can.

Does the computer list the Service Tag ID on the back?

Correct me if i'm wrong but is this computer using the older IDE interface hard drive connectors? Also, with regards to your 2nd hard drive, what is the capacity(e.g. 500GB) is it? It's possible that the old computer doesn't support the capacity of the 2nd hard drive.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Wow, I think I might know what it is. But before I do anything I want your guy's advice. I started it up and didn't hear that power surge that I usually here "sounds like stuff powering up" but didn't this time. So I shut it down and tried again and the same thing happened. It took a few tries, maybe on the 6th that it sounded much better, but the monitor still had nothing. Then I noticed the fan for the "power supply" wasn't on and won't come on. Could it be the power supply?

Service Tag FMX9J61

It is an old Dell Dimension with dual core windows XP with 4gb of ram and the hard drive is 40GB.

Please respond. I have a few power supplies I could use on it. One actually is in "and working" on another Dell Dimension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Considering its age, yes, it could definitely be the power supply. (The Dell Dimension 4700 series were released in 2004).
Old 08-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Game Team Tech

Did you manage to boot to bios? do you know what power supply it's using? could be just the older dell's using 350w psu might not be enough to run two hard drives.

So that's why it's not working try a 450w or 500 w psu
Old 09-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

It has never ceased to amaze me that the low quality psus Dell uses last so long in their units but as suggested your addition of one more hard drive was probably "the straw that broke the camel's back" and it should take any standard psu to fit.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Question

I took a power supply out of an old HP. The power supply itself was not that old. Fan turned on. Sounded better firing up. But again nothing on the monitor ;-(

I actually had a video card just go yesterday on my Dell Optiplex 745 ;-( Luckily I had a few video cards to play with and it is back up and running again.

But I still can't figure out this old Dell Dimension. It also has 24 prongs. My other power supplys are less. I really thought it would fire up though with the power supply from the HP I pulled out. But no such luck. I'm puzzled. What could it be now.....
Old 09-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I still think its the Psu try a decent quality one.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

I know you're trying to get your Dell Dimension 4700 computer to work but may I ask, have you considered upgrading to a brand new computer?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

Pin

I have a few other computers, my Dell optiplexs that work just fine ;-) I will be upgrading to a new machine in a few months. I play one "stupid" facebook game called Evony" lol and surf the web and such. For this game, you need several bots to run accounts for you to become supreme lol I'm looking at a Dell Precision T5500 Workstation E5620 Quad Core 2.4Ghz 48GB 1TB Dual DVI at Walmart. That should be plenty enough to run this program called EvonyToolKit1014D and run my 200 accounts lol "I'm hoping"

Basically, I only used this Dell Dimension to connect with "torguard" and run 20 "Bot" accounts for me

I actually have another Dell Dimension 4700 "the same computer" that is doing that very thing for me right now
Old 09-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Do I dare take the power supply out of the other Dell Dimension 4700 I have and install that in the Dell Dimension 4700 that it is not working?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Sure, give it a shot.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Registered Member

Something to consider about Dell computers around that age was a known quality issue with some of the electrolytic capacitors they were using. It's a known issue that after a few years the effected capacitors would "leak" leading to unsafe voltages running through the circuits. Even computers with better quality capacitors run the risk of this issue after many years. In this case you have attached another device (2nd hard drive) to a hard drive controller on the motherboard which draws even more power through these capacitors. You can examine the motherboard for damaged components. The capacitors are the small cylinders all over the motherboard. They may be black/silver or blue/silver typically. Most of the time damaged caps will look like they had a brown liquid or foam seeping out of the top of them. If you see this on one or more of these it means they are "open" (not allowing any voltage through) or allowing improperly regulated voltages. If you were very good at soldering you could replace them with new components fairly cheaply. Otherwise if you lack this skill the motherboard is shot and not economical to replace.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:10 AM   #14
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

https://www.badcaps.net/index.php
Old 11-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Check all the wiring connections are plugged in securely, you might have knocked something loose putting that other drive in.
Closed Thread