Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Old age a Problem...

This is a discussion on Old age a Problem... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi...My i7 XP computer is having terrible problems thanks to a Program called Reimage.....The only way to fix my PC

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi...My i7 XP computer is having terrible problems thanks to a Program called Reimage.....The only way to fix my PC is a reinstall but although I have done this on several occasions in the past my memory is not what it was...All I really want to know is the vital things I need to backup like Drivers..my email which is OE and I think I just need to copy my identities to another drive ...and i wonder if there is anything else I need to backup ..Probably passwords cause they are a real problem for me in old age ....Any tips will be very appreciated....aparantly I have 540 nasties ???? according to Spy Hunter...Thanks Mk....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

We never recommend using 3rd party Registry Cleaners or Boosters like Reimage, they tend to cause more problems then they solve.
Did SpyHunter remove all of the Nasties? Is that the only reason you are reinstalling?
What do you mean by Copy Identities to another drive? Do you mean Login Credentials for web sites, or for other computers? Unless you have a program that saves passwords, you will not be able to retrieve these.
Here is a guide to backup OE https://www.wikihow.com/Back-up-Outlook-Express
Other then that, you need to backup your personal files (ie) C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName] Copy and Paste all of these folders to a backup drive.
Drivers are usually not accessible. After Installing Windows XP again, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. In the Device Manager, any devices that have yellow flags, need to have drivers installed, there should hardly be any. If you have a Name Brand computer (ie) Dell, HP Etc or the make and model# of the motherboard, go to that manufacturers Support/Download Drivers site type in the Service Tag# or Make and Model# of the computer and Windows XP as the OS and download any drivers you need from the Device Manager.
As for anything else, you can go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press Enter. In the Add Remove Programs list, you can take a screenshot of the list of programs so that you will know what programs you need to reinstall after installing XP.
If you have an I7 Intel PC, why don't you install Windows 7 or 10? Since XP is no longer supported? And this fast computer would run better with a newer OS.
You would have less problems with drivers, but OE would not be supported.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

About passwords, I am 70 and I had to make an Excel spread sheet with all my logins and passwords. I keep a copy at work an one at home. If you use Firefox browser you can go into settings, security and see all your saved logins and passwords. XP was the last OS to use outlook express. You can google ways to back it up to another email program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 02:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi Great >>I should be able to do it now...Identities is the folder where or the *.dbx files are for Outlook express ...Reimage is a virus in itself ....I have an EVGA M/B ..got it for $21 ..what a bargain ....No I Could not get a registered version of Spy Hunter to try and see if it works...I read its the only thing that will zap Reimage...

Why don't I install W10 ...well I have a friend who is a moderator on Techsupport and he tried to install W10 on his pc ...no go ..then he tried W7 again no go ...He is not replying to my calls so he must still be having problems....That put me off W 10....Once he gets himself sorted out I am hoping he will get on Skype and with Team viewer we should be able to install Windows 10??? on my PC...Thanks for the info cheers Mk

Passwords ??? thank goodness its automatic to reset a new password cause I forget them all the time...
Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Since you have Windows XP, you will not be able to do an Update to Windows 7, 8 or 10. You will need to backup your personal files to an External HDD and then do a Clean Install of Windows 10. Then restore your files. So, you won't be able to do this on Skype from the same computer.
To remove Reimage, go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. Uninstall it from Add Remove Programs.
Now, download ADWCleaner. Scan/Clean. Then download Malwarebytes, Scan/Quarantine.
Open My Computer and right click the C: Drive then Properties/Disk Cleanup. Check everything except Compress Files.
Reset Internet Explorer to Defaults, in IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Reset Internet Explorer settings/Reset.