Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Office Security Updates Keep Failing!

This is a discussion on Office Security Updates Keep Failing! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I updated to Service Pack 3 after a battle with some serious Trojans on a client laptop and now it

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

I updated to Service Pack 3 after a battle with some serious Trojans on a client laptop and now it keeps failing to install the security updates for office 2003?

any suggestions? i have tried disabling Microsoft services>restarting>then install updates and i have also tried:

1. Go Start > Run.
2. In the box type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL > Enter.
3. A message saying, "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" will appear > OK.
4. Now it is necessary to repeat these steps for each of the following files commands (hitting Enter after each line):

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Once finished; since the temporary folder of Windows Update may be corrupted, please carry out the following steps to rename the folder:

1. Go Start > Run > in the box type cmd > Enter.

Type the following command in the open panel.

net stop WuAuServ

( Please Note: the computer may need to be rebooted before the net stop command will work.)

2. Go Start > Run > type in the box %windir% > Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder ( by Right clicking) SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Go Start > Run > type in cmd > Enter. In the open command pane, please type:

net start WuAuServ

Once thatís done, Go Start > All Programs > Windows Updates and see if it will allow the downloading/installation of Windows Updates.

but that didnt work either..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Registered Member

had Microsoft remote assist me for 1.5hours and still no luck...no one here has any other suggestions or ideas what could be the issue...was able to run a normal security update just fine seems that only Office Security updates keep failing..
Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to Codeman0013 Send a message via MSN to Codeman0013 Send a message via Yahoo to Codeman0013

Have you cheked to ensure they were not previously installed and somehow were corrupt? I had this happen a few times with client pc's.. If they are not in there have you tried to individualy download and install them one at a time? Are you sure its totally clean and no spyware still exists on the machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

I did not try them individually but I am pretty sure one of the things the Microsoft tech checked was to see if they were previously installed. I did however find other updates, just a few XP security updates, and they installed perfectly fine but the Office ones kept failing so I decided it was a lost cause and I figure those Office updates can not be that important to really need them. She seems to be a client who somehow always finds a virus anyway so i am sure in a few months Ill have a chance to look at the PC again haha
Closed Thread