Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Odd problem with Add/Remove Programs

This is a discussion on Odd problem with Add/Remove Programs within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Something strange is happening to my Control Panel and the Add or Remove Programs. I can only view the programs

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #1

Evil

Something strange is happening to my Control Panel and the Add or Remove Programs. I can only view the programs that begin at A and end with H - the rest of the programs beginning I - Z are missing.

What's happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Patmay and welcome to TSF,

Looks like malware or a system file failure. Do a malware scan with at least two malware scanners and see what you get.

Also, try a system restore to an earlier time when the problem was not there.

You can run chkdsk /p to fix a few system files. If you have a Windows XP install CD of the same version you have installed and with the same SP package, you can do a SFC /scannow for a better fix of the system files.

See if the problem is there in the Save Mode. If not, it is something that you are booting up at normal startup. You can go to msconfig and disable all programs except virus programs and malware scanners.

Post back if you need dirrections on any of these.

Best regards,
Mack1

Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Hello patmay, Welcome to TSF!

Here's an easier way...

Please download this Registry file > click Run > when prompted > YES.
This should restore your access to Add/Remove programs.

Post back with the outcome.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #4

Thanks, downloaded registry file, ran it, same problem exists. Ran Sypbot, picked up a couple harmless adware plus Talex.FTP. REG. Scan.
Subscribed to Spyware Doctor, ran a scan, got rid of previous problems, however still cant get I-Z programs
Tomorrow will run Windows repair and see if that fixes it!
Thanks again,
Pat
Old 06-07-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Hi Pat,

Before you run a 'Repair'...

Please try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD).

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2, you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully).

Please post back with the result, or if there are any further queries/concerns.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauffeur2 View Post
Hi Pat,

Before you run a 'Repair'...

Please try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD).

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2, you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully).

Please post back with the result, or if there are any further queries/concerns.

Kind Regards,
Will having SP3 on the computer have any impact of running the Windows XP SP2 disk. (Assuming SP3 isnt slipstreamed into the XP CD)
Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #7

You will have to make another disk with SP3 slipstreamed into the disk.

On the SP3 did you get it thru windows updates?

If so then for the slipstream you might want the full version @:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

You will need the full version because you have to extract the files before the slipstream process.
Closed Thread