Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

NTLDR Missing After Video card install

This is a discussion on NTLDR Missing After Video card install within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had this problem for quite some time and have worked around it by disconnecting the internal slave and installing

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
CET

My System

I've had this problem for quite some time and have worked around it by disconnecting the internal slave and installing a external storage drive. It seems if I have 2 HDDs I get this message, NTDLR Missing, cntrl, alt, delete to restart. But, this never happened until I upgraded to a 128MB graphics card. If I reinstall the 64 it runs fine or if I disconnect the internal slave (IDE drives, both Master and slave) it runs fine. I found I was able to run a USB external drive for storage but, it's a bit slow being that this machine has only 2.0 USB technology. Well after replacing the board recently (with same) I thought I'd try reinstalling the IDE slave and it worked....once and now it's back to the error message on boot. Any Ideas why this is doing this? I've already tried replacing the ribbon cable and copying the NTLDR file from my Win XP Pro installation disk, which by the way I was denied access to and I'm the administrator. This is an old HP Amd 3000+ 2.4ghz machine but always ran fast and smooth till the upgraded video card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Are both HDD's IDE, are they sharing the same ribbon cable? Or is the main HDD in the Primary IDE slot on the motherboard and the other in the Secondary IDE slot?
If they are sharing a ribbon, make sure the jumper pin on both drives is set to CS (Cable Select) if you still get this problem, then set one to Master and one to Slave. If this still fails, make the CD drive the slave and put the secondary HDD in the Secondary IDE port on the motherboard setting both drives jumpers to CS. If that fails, move the jumper to Master on both.
Boot into Setup (Bios) make sure both drives are recognized. Save and Exit
Does the secondary drive have Windows on it? If so, then the Bios may be confusing which drive to boot from. In the Bios go to the Boot tab, move the secondary HDD to the bottom of the boot list or take it out of the boot order all together. Move the Primary HDD to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
CET

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Are both HDD's IDE, are they sharing the same ribbon cable? Or is the main HDD in the Primary IDE slot on the motherboard and the other in the Secondary IDE slot?
If they are sharing a ribbon, make sure the jumper pin on both drives is set to CS (Cable Select) if you still get this problem, then set one to Master and one to Slave. If this still fails, make the CD drive the slave and put the secondary HDD in the Secondary IDE port on the motherboard setting both drives jumpers to CS. If that fails, move the jumper to Master on both.
Boot into Setup (Bios) make sure both drives are recognized. Save and Exit
Does the secondary drive have Windows on it? If so, then the Bios may be confusing which drive to boot from. In the Bios go to the Boot tab, move the secondary HDD to the bottom of the boot list or take it out of the boot order all together. Move the Primary HDD to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.
Both are IDE drives and, they are on the same ribbon cable and right now one is set to Mstr and the other to Slv. Only One, the Master has an OPS.
I'll certainly try your suggestions sir and get back with ya to let ya know nay or ya. Oh! And my Bios doesn't separate the HDD's in boot tab as Pri or Sec just HDD Group, CD Group, & Floppy Group, you can only pick a Group as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th boot device. hank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you have another IDE cable, plug the secondary HDD in the Secondary IDE motherboard slot. Change jumper to CS on both drives, if that fails, Master on both. CD drive should share IDE cable. Jumper set to CS or Slave.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
CET

My System

Quote:
If you have another IDE cable, plug the secondary HDD in the Secondary IDE motherboard slot. Change jumper to CS on both drives, if that fails, Master on both. CD drive should share IDE cable. Jumper set to CS or Slave.
Okay, I do have two IDE slots on my MB a Primary and Secondary. Been using the Sec. for Cd/DVD drives and the Pri for HDD's. I'll try it if what you mentioned before fails. Not going to get to it till Sunday cause as you know, I could have my head stuck in this thing most the day. Thank you again sir, and I'll try all above in that order.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

First hook up Primary HDD, jumper pins set to CS to Primary slot on Mobo. Hook up Secondary HDD with jumper also set to CS to Secondary mobo slot. Boot into Setup (Bios) if both drives are recognized, shut down attach CD Rom drive to secondary IDE cable as Slave, Jumper pin set to CS. Boot to Setup (Bios) make sure all drives recognized. If you have a secondary CD, attach it to the Primary IDE, as Slave jumper pin set to CS. Boot into Bios. If any drives are not being recognized, change the jumper to Master and Slave accordingly.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
CET

My System

Quote:
First hook up Primary HDD, jumper pins set to CS to Primary slot on Mobo. Hook up Secondary HDD with jumper also set to CS to Secondary mobo slot. Boot into Setup (Bios) if both drives are recognized, shut down attach CD Rom drive to secondary IDE cable as Slave, Jumper pin set to CS. Boot to Setup (Bios) make sure all drives recognized. If you have a secondary CD, attach it to the Primary IDE, as Slave jumper pin set to CS. Boot into Bios. If any drives are not being recognized, change the jumper to Master and Slave accordingly.
Yes sir, Will do and I'll let ya know what happens.
Thank you so much again for your help!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
CET

My System

It worked!! I set the Primary HDD to CS on the Primary cable and set the secondary HDD to CS on the Sec. cable and it recognized both. Then came the real work, getting the secondary HDD close enough to the CD/DVD drive for the cable to reach. Had to put the Sec. HDD in a floppy slot and the cd/dvd in the lowest slot to reach and it still took some stretching but it works. Must look into longer cables specially if I want to add my second CD drive. But, thank you so much for your help sir. After reading the book on my MB again it states that the Secondary MB slot is for CD, DVD, & secondary HDD's , so we had a DUH moment so I'm hoping they must make longer cables then I'm use to seeing.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
CET

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CET View Post
It worked!! I set the Primary HDD to CS on the Primary cable and set the secondary HDD to CS on the Sec. cable and it recognized both. Then came the real work, getting the secondary HDD close enough to the CD/DVD drive for the cable to reach. Had to put the Sec. HDD in a floppy slot and the cd/dvd in the lowest slot to reach and it still took some stretching but it works. Must look into longer cables specially if I want to add my second CD drive. But, thank you so much for your help sir. After reading the book on my MB again it states that the Secondary MB slot is for CD, DVD, & secondary HDD's , so we had a DUH moment so I'm hoping they must make longer cables then I'm use to seeing.
Just to add, I had another Duh! moment, could have use the ribbon cables in the opposite direction to make them long enough to connect both DVD and HDD drives without moving them to different bays. It's just been too long since I really work on a PC, they say ya lose it if ya don't use it. Gona be building a Pen4 machine for Win7 so that should put me back to straight thinking again.....I hope. Thank you again sir!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You are Welcome! I'm glad you got it sorted.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
CET

My System

Quote:
You are Welcome! I'm glad you got it sorted.
Thank you!
Closed Thread