Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

NTLDR missing

This is a discussion on NTLDR missing within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I obtained an OEM WXP CD and installed it. Next time I tried to run the PC it showed

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello

I obtained an OEM WXP CD and installed it.

Next time I tried to run the PC it showed 'NTLDR is missing'. So I left it for a few months.

Now I returned to the computer and it showed 'Boot from CD'.

I have now reached to where I receive the following: WXPHome Edition Setup.
CAUTION: A \WINDOWS folder already exists that may contain a Windows installation. If you continue, the existing Windows installation will be overwritten.

All files, subfolders, user accounts, applications security and desktop settings for that Windows installation will be deleted. The'My Documents' folder may also be deleted.

To use the folder and delete the existing Windows installation in it, press L.

To use a different folder, press ESC.

To quit Setup, press F3.

How should I proceed with thus, please ?. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

XP ? Hopefully Rich doesn't see this post... :P

XP is EOL and there will be no support and would have security vulnerabilities, are you sure you want to install it ? You're better of installing a Linux or Windows 10..Imo..

Old 09-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, thank you. I will do a Linux.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Go for Ubuntu or OpenSUSE if the config is old, Ubuntu is fairly easy to install, the mate version is even more light weight..

Old 09-08-2018, 03:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

Before reading your post, I downloaded Lubuntu and I am in the process of installing it. I intend to use it as a Home Server, so if your recommendation is lighter on power/resources I will re-consider.

What other Apps should I include to make it a worthwhile Server ?.

Many thanks for your help as I have never done this before.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Lubuntu is good.. It's Ubuntu with LXDM as the display Manager, very light.. Go for it..

Did you download the Desktop version or the Server version ? You can install a bunch of different apps... Web server, use it as a download server, FTP.. endless possibilities..

Closed Thread