Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

NTLDR Missing

This is a discussion on NTLDR Missing within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello The PC is a Packard Bell with WXP Home Edition. I obtained a CD of the same value. At

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello

The PC is a Packard Bell with WXP Home Edition. I obtained a CD of the same value. At first it worked Ok but at some point I slipped up.

Now I am getting 'NTLDR is missing. Press CRLT+ALT+DEL to restart.

How do I rectify this, please ?.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 02:06 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

If the PC was working and it's not working now, chances are you're looking at some kind of Hard Disk drive corruption/failure there is a chance that the OS may be corrupt as well.

For starters, you might have to hit the BIOS key and check in the BIOS if the Hard Disk drive is detected, usually it's the DEL or F2 key.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, thank you for your reply.

F2 took me to BIOS.

When I scrolled to the BOOT heading, the Hard Drive showed as First Boot Priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 04:19 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Ok, this indicates that the Hard disk is detected by the BIOS, but for some reason, the Operating System is unable to boot into it.

At this point, we need to boot using the XP CD that you have and repair the damaged files.

Please use the below article :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/...n-windows-2000

It says 2000, but the steps work for XP as well, please follow Method 2 in the article.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have encountered a problem because I do not have an administrator password, as required in Method 2
Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Did you use a password to login to Windows previously ?

If not, just hit the ENTER key and see if it takes you to the next screen.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

When you boot the Windows XP CD and choose the Recovery Console, you have to login with the Administrator password, not your Admin User Password.
When XP was installed, you have the option to set an Administrator Password, if you did not set a Password then leave it blank and press next. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-ente...onsole-2624534
Old 04-27-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

That procedure did not work.

The NTLDR files were lost when I unintentionally deleted one of the partitions.

I would not know what the actual Admin Password is for this Hard Drive.

I am thinking there must be a site where I can get the NTLDR files ?
Old 04-27-2018, 04:40 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

The files are located on the XP CD, in the i386 folder.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ok.

But what procedure must I follow in order to access those files
Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You have to boot from the Windows XP CD, get to the Recovery Console https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-ente...onsole-2624534 and login as the Built In Administrator then you can repair the boot files and replace NTLDR
Old 05-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
Registered Member

My question is why in the world would anyone be using a Packard Bell in 2018 and the security nightmare that XP is? That Packard Bell was junk when it was brand new and people who use XP are wide open to hackers.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestForEcho78 View Post
My question is why in the world would anyone be using a Packard Bell in 2018 and the security nightmare that XP is? That Packard Bell was junk when it was brand new and people who use XP are wide open to hackers.
Hi, and welcome to TSF.

Looking at the big picture, it seems to me that we're all being forced into the world of 'technology' whether we like it or not.

I was looking for a quote for car insurance last night and the website offered the option to get a quote on the phone but a call centre charge of £12.50 would be applied. Huh?

I'd just like to point out that there are people out there running xp on a piece of junk because they can't afford anything better.

I'm not assuming thats the case with the op because i obviously don't know.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 05-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
Hi, and welcome to TSF.

Looking at the big picture, it seems to me that we're all being forced into the world of 'technology' whether we like it or not.

I was looking for a quote for car insurance last night and the website offered the option to get a quote on the phone but a call centre charge of £12.50 would be applied. Huh?

I'd just like to point out that there are people out there running xp on a piece of junk because they can't afford anything better.

I'm not assuming thats the case with the op because i obviously don't know.
That is rarely ever the case. I do tech work and in every case where someone is using ancient stuff its simply because they are lazy and don't want to learn anything new. Cost is not the reason and one can buy a refurbished PC with Win 7 or Win 10 for $150 or less. They also end up spending more money in the long run by trying to keep grossly outdated things running. I know a very wealthy man who rather than getting a new pc or having me build one wants to spend even more money getting things like XP, Netscape, WordPerfect 5, and other ancient hardware and software that can't be fixed running. I am yet to run into a case where it wasn't cheaper to at least get something that's only a few years old. And if someone hacks them because they use insecure equipment and os they will lose a lot more than upgrading would have ever cost them. Besides, most techs refuse to work on stuff this ancient. I know I won't.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
Registered Member

I do not think people are using XP because they are lazy. I find the versions after the XP are all useless and not better than XP which is more secured. Further, those who are having old MB cannot use all the applications they are used to if they instal latest windows. For me, XP and Office 2007 seem better than the latter versions which are more ornamental with less user friendly. Microsoft needs money by hook or crook as such they frequently change the versions. The same is with the Google also which foolishly changed the login get up. Previously it remembered the user name but now they force older people to type that also! Crazy persons.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #16
Registered Member

The System partition got damaged or corrupted and the ntldr by consequence is not being found, If you have an available partition just install XP in that available partition to recover the missing or corrupted partition, don't pay much attention to the settings because the "new" XP is just to recover the missing info, during the installation you could be asked if you want to upgrade, DO NOT select to upgrade, when finished, follow the steps
-Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
-On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click View.
-Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)check box, click Yes, and then click OK.
-Locate the system partition, locate and right-click the Boot.ini file, and then click Properties.
-Click to clear the Read-only check box, and then click OK.

Open the boot.ini and locate the line with the partition information
- multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

copy this line and paste it immediately after, in the new line modify the partition number to (1) and in the message enclosed between brackets type something that you can use to identify it, it should look like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Alfredo - Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Pay attention to the boot.ini it must contain both lines, the original and the copied, you are not going to make any change to the original. If the original partition is (1) then in the new line use (2)

Save the boot.ini and restart, you will have 30 seconds to select the option that you created, select it using the arrow key in the keyboard and hit enter, if you guess the partition number it will start your old XP and you will have two instances. If it didn't work, start the XP that works and repeat the steps to modify the boot.ini and try another partition, until you get it. Partition numbers start with one and a hard disk can potentially have many.

If your computer has more than one hard disk you have to change the rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) and start with partition(1).

Good luck
Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivij View Post
I do not think people are using XP because they are lazy. I find the versions after the XP are all useless and not better than XP which is more secured. Further, those who are having old MB cannot use all the applications they are used to if they instal latest windows. For me, XP and Office 2007 seem better than the latter versions which are more ornamental with less user friendly. Microsoft needs money by hook or crook as such they frequently change the versions. The same is with the Google also which foolishly changed the login get up. Previously it remembered the user name but now they force older people to type that also! Crazy persons.
How can you possibly think Windows XP is more secure? It has no ongoing support and is very insecure. And later versions of Windows, especially Win 7 and Win 10 are much better than XP. If they insist on running programs that will only run on XP they should change the compatibility settings for the programs or run XP in a virtual machine. Microsoft is NOT running a conspiracy. And the username is NOT forced to be typed. I never type mine and have used Windows 7 and now Windows 10. Where do you make this stuff up from? It is laziness, unwillingness to change, and cheapness. It will cost these users more money in the long run especially when their hardware fails (getting parts is nearly impossible for XP machines) and when a hacker steals their money. True craziness is continuing to use ancient hardware with an ancient and very insecure OS, which XP is. Windows 10 is the best version of Windows. I used to think it was Windows 7 but now that Windows 10 is a mature product I won't be looking backwards.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
Registered Member

Five Reasons Not to Use Windows XP Anymore

Windows XP is still everywhere, long after three versions of Windows have taken its place, nearly thirteen years after its introduction. I still see Windows XP at my doctor’s office. I saw Windows XP the last time I went on a cruise. And my kids’ computer runs Windows XP. These are all things that need to change. Here are five good reasons why you need to upgrade now.

The big one. Windows XP updates cease in April 2014, just a few short months away. That means that any major security exploits introduced after April will go unpatched by Microsoft. In fact, some experts warn that Windows XP could be a hacker’s dream. Now, it’s possible Microsoft might decide on a reprieve — because of the number of businesses still running XP — but for all intents and purposes, it will no longer be safe to use XP after April.
Windows XP has trouble with new hardware, won’t run a lot of new games, and is not optimized for modern PC architecture. It doesn’t like especially large hard drives or solid state drives particularly. It just wasn’t designed to last this long.
Windows XP, the 64-bit edition, is extremely rare — nearly all of the world’s XP installations are 32-bit. That means Windows XP can’t see more than 3.5 gigabytes of RAM, no matter how much RAM you have installed. 3.5 GB is limited and will cause you major issues, even if all you do is play Flash games in your browser. Forget about using Photoshop or running any decent non-casual game in the last five years.
XP isn’t designed for touch. If your PC happens to have a touchscreen, or even if the touchpad on your laptop is multitouch capable, forget about getting around Windows XP easily. It was designed when touchscreens barely existed — most touchscreens on TV and in movies were animated fakes — and really won’t work without a mouse and keyboard.
And finally — though Start Menu Reviver works on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, it does not work on Windows XP! If anything is enough motivation to upgrade, then our amazing free application is it.
Convinced? Many PCs currently running XP can handle Windows 7 or Windows 8 with a possible RAM upgrade on the side. Take a look at our upgrade guide to help you back up your files and settings — and save your Office installation from hitting its limit — before you upgrade. Good luck!

Windows XP: Microsoft?s ticking time bomb | Alphr
Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestForEcho78 View Post
How can you possibly think Windows XP is more secure? It has no ongoing support and is very insecure. And later versions of Windows, especially Win 7 and Win 10 are much better than XP. If they insist on running programs that will only run on XP they should change the compatibility settings for the programs or run XP in a virtual machine. Microsoft is NOT running a conspiracy. And the username is NOT forced to be typed. I never type mine and have used Windows 7 and now Windows 10. Where do you make this stuff up from? It is laziness, unwillingness to change, and cheapness. It will cost these users more money in the long run especially when their hardware fails (getting parts is nearly impossible for XP machines) and when a hacker steals their money. True craziness is continuing to use ancient hardware with an ancient and very insecure OS, which XP is. Windows 10 is the best version of Windows. I used to think it was Windows 7 but now that Windows 10 is a mature product I won't be looking backwards.
I still stand by my writing. I have enough money to buy any new versions but I always like the one that is workable, useful and easier without clumsiness. If you allow yourself to be hacked it is your carelessness. I am using XP from the day it is introduced till today and by God's grace, there is no problem. I am neither lazy too. One man's food is another man's poison!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivij View Post
I still stand by my writing. I have enough money to buy any new versions but I always like the one that is workable, useful and easier without clumsiness. If you allow yourself to be hacked it is your carelessness. I am using XP from the day it is introduced till today and by God's grace, there is no problem. I am neither lazy too. One man's food is another man's poison!
And I stand by mine. Only a fool would keep using an antiquated, insecure system that is easily hacked in an OS that's full of security holes not due to carelessness. You complain about having to enter a username but then think those same people will secure their system? No likely. Windows 10 is far superior but you just don't want to learn anything new. There is nothing clumsy, unworkable, or unusable in Windows 10. My guess is the real reason is you don't want to pay for a legitimate copy of Windows 10, don't want to learn, and have fun running on ancient hardware with an ancient OS that's wide open to hacking. And I know by the quickness of your reply that you didn't read any of the articles or the reasons your choice is foolish. And I have no more time to waste on those who choose to be foolish and can't and won't consider any of the reasons they are wrong.
Closed Thread