Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Notebook turns off unexpectively

This is a discussion on Notebook turns off unexpectively within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook running Windows XP Media Center. I recently been having a problem with it.

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #1

Question

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook running Windows XP Media Center. I recently been having a problem with it. It seems when I move, bump, vibrate (not intentional, but like vibrating it when typing on it on a soft surface like a bed) the notebook turns off instantly. I am using the AC power adapter. The battery died a while a go and I did not replace it, so there is no backup power. I checked the battery and the floppy drive to make sure they are fitting securely in the notebook and they're. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the power source. Any insight on trooubleshooting this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #2

I would suspect possibly a bad motherboard ( corrosion/short/or maybe lose connection)
Old 10-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

have you tried diagnostics (F12 key as you boot the notebook)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

I would think that on a bed, it will overheat quickly and shutdown. Your probably blocking the air intake underneath. Always keep it on a flat surface. Better yet keep it on a cooling pad. It may also be plugged up with dust causing it to overheat. Check this link out. You may have to clear an ad to get to it:

https://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=60300177

If it's still doing it, I would check the output of the power adapter with a multimeter. If that's fine then like someone else mentioned, there's probably a loose connection somewhere.
Closed Thread