Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

not able to reinstall xp black screen

This is a discussion on not able to reinstall xp black screen within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A week ago my wife used an external drive from my sons preschool to load some educational program and the

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

A week ago my wife used an external drive from my sons preschool to load some educational program and the screen wacked out with weird colors and then went black and the words "input not supported" came on the screen. since then the computer screen just goes black when it begins to start up. Started in safe mode and tried to revert to a old configuration a few days b4 with no luck. I tried to remove the installed software in safemode but couldn't software installer was not accessible I guess. I tried to reinstall xp and it spends a few minutes on the installing page and then the screen goes black but comp is still on. Any ideas? Sorry for my incorrect terminology usage! And thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Normally a message like that on your monitor indicates that the program was trying to force either an unsupported resolution or an unsupported refresh rate on the monitor.

You need to go back into safe mode, go to your display properties and make sure a resolution is selected that you know normally works. Then you need to go to your advanced button from that menu, head over to monitor and make sure a refresh rate is selected that you know your monitor supports. Check the "hide modes not supported" so you can't mess that up.

If that doesn't work, then you need to tell us what program you installed, make and model of the monitor and post a DxDiag in your next post, which you can easily google to find out how to do. (It's simple) With that information we can give you more possibilities.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Masterknives, Thanks for the response. I will do that later today when I am in front of the computer and will update you on things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKnives
Normally a message like that on your monitor indicates that the program was trying to force either an unsupported resolution or an unsupported refresh rate on the monitor.

You need to go back into safe mode, go to your display properties and make sure a resolution is selected that you know normally works. Then you need to go to your advanced button from that menu, head over to monitor and make sure a refresh rate is selected that you know your monitor supports. Check the "hide modes not supported" so you can't mess that up.

If that doesn't work, then you need to tell us what program you installed, make and model of the monitor and post a DxDiag in your next post, which you can easily google to find out how to do. (It's simple) With that information we can give you more possibilities.
Masterknives, looks like I am unable to get back into safemode because I have erased the old installation when I began the reinstall that I am having issues with currently. Is there any other ways to resolve it?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKnives

Is there anything I can adjust in BIOS to fix the issue?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

If youre using an Oem disk you should be able to press enter a few times and get through the install with no video so you can do safe mode. If not, reformat time!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

I believe it OS an oem disk. I pressed enter a couple of times and it started to install for about a half an hour and then I got this error:

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The operation was canceled by the.user.

Error:
Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

C:\Windows\system32\initpki.dll

contact your administrator, who may provide assistance in diagnosing this problem.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Setup is invalid. The error code is 80096001

A system-level error occurred while verifying trust.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Closed Thread