Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

No Internet Connection

This is a discussion on No Internet Connection within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Media Disconnected/IP Address won't Renew

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Media Disconnected/IP Address won't Renew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

We could use a lot more information.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-573730.html
What Media? What type of Mac do you have? (eg) Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook, iPad, Mac Mini etc? What version of Mac OSX are you running?
Are you connecting with an Ethernet cable or Airport WiFi? Can any other devices in your network connect to the internet? Who is your internet provider? Do you have a Router and Modem or a Router/Modem combo? Is it an Airport Base station?
Remember, we are not there with you, so we don't know anything about your situation till you tell us. The more detail about your problem the better and faster we can help you.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Lenovo Thinkpad Model X300 running Windows XP. Trying to connect with WiFi. Other devices connect with no problem. Have modem. Not sure if Laptop has router. CenturyLink is ISP.

When I use cmd prompt to renew IP Address it tells me that the media is disconnected and needs that problem fixed first. As far as I know I need to fix the media first and then assign a new IP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Well, first off you posted in the Apple Macintosh section of the forum and not the Windows XP part. Maybe a nice Mod will move you to the correct section of the Forum?
A Router is not part of the laptop. It is a device that goes between your Modem and your computer and gives you wifi access. Many ISP's now bundle a Router/Modem combo device for internet.
Have you ever connected this computer to your wireless Network? What changed?
The the media is disconnected message means that you have not connected to your Wireless network. Either the wireless switch on your computer is turned off, or you haven't tried to connect to your wireless network.
You should have a wireless icon in your taskbar by the clock. If you click this it will show Available Wireless Networks, choose yours and connect to it. Or use Lenovo's Access Connections
If you continue to have connection problems, please click on the link in Post #2 and follow those instructions and post the results here.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Moved.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Repeat: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-573730.html
Old 02-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

My mistake sorry.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

MOVED FROM DUPLICATE POST by <Etaf Moderator >

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop model X300. My operating system is Windows XP Proffessional.

I have had an internet connection problem for some time now. At one point it showed me no wireless connections at all. I cleaned off the hard drive and loaded on the basic programs on the partion on the hard drive. This gave me back my wireless networks. It shows no IP address. When I use cmd prompt to renew the IP address it says the media is disconnected and can not follow the command until that problem is fixed. My modem is a PK5000 from Quest.

This computer did have internet at one time both wired and wireless. However it had a problem that cound not be corrected by a tech so I asked him if cleaning off the hard drive would elimanate the problem. He said yes, it was done, the problem was fixed, and now I am faced with this problem. Please afford me advice on how to fix this.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #9
Team Manager - Networking

I have closed your second thread in XP forum - lets just keep to this one please

Please provide the details requested in post #2 & post #6

Old 02-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

windows ip configuration

HOST Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lenovo-52007DF4
Primary Dns suffix . . . . . . . . : unknown
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . .: NO
IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . . .: NO

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) wireless wifi Link 4965AG
Physical Address . . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3B-38-AF-4F

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Media disconnected
Discription . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Intel (R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address . . . . . . . . . .: 00-1C-25-78-77-D3
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
However it had a problem that cound not be corrected by a tech
What was the problem?
How did you Clean Off the Hard Drive? Did you do a clean fresh install of Windows XP? When you click on your Wireless icon in the taskbar by the clock, Do you see your wireless network in the Available Wireless Networks? Have you tried to connect to it? What happens when you do? Can you connect to your router via an Ethernet Cable?
We need the full IP Config log, please go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the Command Prompt please type in:
Ipconfig /all> 0 & notepad 0 and press enter. copy the full notepad results and paste into your next post.
On an internet computer, Go to the Lenovo Support/Download Drivers site: Laptops :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: X300 Laptop (ThinkPad) - Lenovo Support (US) and download the Wireless LAN Driver. Save it to a USB Flash Drive and install it on the troubled computer.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

I do not remember what the problem was. I used rescue and recovery to clean off the hard drive. I reinstalled XP by Using the partion on the hard drive. It reinstalled the basic windows programs. When I open "View Available Wireless Networks" the following message appears: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection, use that software. If you want to use Windows to configure this wireless connection, click "Change advanced settings," click the Wireless Networks tab, and then select the check box labeled "Use windows to configure my wirelwss network settings."

No connection when using an ethernet cable.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lenovo-52D07DF4
Primary Dns suffix . . . . . . . .:
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . .: Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) wireless wifi Link 4965AG
Physical Address . . . . . . . . .: 00-1F-3B-38-AF-4F

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . .: Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-25-78-77-D3
Old 03-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your profile says you are running Windows XP SP2. Have you updated to SP3 yet?
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. In the Device Manager, are there any devices with yellow flags? take a Screenshot of this window with Network Adapters expanded and save it to a USB Flash drive and attach it in the Next post.