10-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
OS: XP Pro, XP Home, Vista Home Basic, Ubuntu Studio
Good news is you won't have to reinstall Windows. Bad news is that you've most likely got a virus on your PC.
I highly recommend that you head over to the HijackThis forums. Follow this 5 Step Guide
to post a log. The analysts over there will help you remove any viruses or nasties from your system.
We can try something to see if we can re-enable control panel. Note that if the virus or spyware program that disabled control panel is still on the computer this fix may only work temporarily or not at all.
1. From the Start menu, choose Run...
2. type regedit
- You can screw things up if you go around changing things with regedit when you don't know what you're doing, so be careful here.
3. From the Edit menu, choose Find...
4. type (or copy and paste) NoControlPanel in the search box and uncheck "Keys" and "Data" (so only "Values" is checked)
5. Choose OK to begin the search. It should find an entry that looks like
NoControlPanel REG_DWORD 0x00000001
6. Double-click this. Change the value to 0 (zero) and choose OK
7. Press F3 to repeat the search. There may be multiple entries you need to change. Keep doing this until it reports it can't find any more
Note that you may need to reboot before the control panel reappears. Also, can you get into control panel if you go to Start > Run and type "control.exe" without the quotes?
There are many ways that the bad guys can lock you out of the Control Panel. Let me know if the edit works and if you can get into the CPanel by typing control.exe.