Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

No control panel

This is a discussion on No control panel within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My control panel is missing from my start menu. When I click on "set program access and defaults" I get

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #1

Cry

My control panel is missing from my start menu. When I click on "set program access and defaults" I get the error message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". This is my home computer and I know that I didn't change anything. Any suggestions? A DELL tech told me I would have to reinstall windows. Really don't want to have to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Good news is you won't have to reinstall Windows. Bad news is that you've most likely got a virus on your PC.

I highly recommend that you head over to the HijackThis forums. Follow this 5 Step Guide to post a log. The analysts over there will help you remove any viruses or nasties from your system.

We can try something to see if we can re-enable control panel. Note that if the virus or spyware program that disabled control panel is still on the computer this fix may only work temporarily or not at all.

Quote:
1. From the Start menu, choose Run...
2. type regedit
- You can screw things up if you go around changing things with regedit when you don't know what you're doing, so be careful here.
3. From the Edit menu, choose Find...
4. type (or copy and paste) NoControlPanel in the search box and uncheck "Keys" and "Data" (so only "Values" is checked)
5. Choose OK to begin the search. It should find an entry that looks like
NoControlPanel REG_DWORD 0x00000001

6. Double-click this. Change the value to 0 (zero) and choose OK
7. Press F3 to repeat the search. There may be multiple entries you need to change. Keep doing this until it reports it can't find any more
Note that you may need to reboot before the control panel reappears. Also, can you get into control panel if you go to Start > Run and type "control.exe" without the quotes?

There are many ways that the bad guys can lock you out of the Control Panel. Let me know if the edit works and if you can get into the CPanel by typing control.exe.

BMR777

RusnakWeb - Web Development Tutorials
Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #3

Thank you so much. It worked! I can access control panel and everything else including microsoft updates that I have not been able to use. This forum is great and I truely appreciate your help and quick response.
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Great, but make sure you get on over to the HijackThis forums and have them check your computer for viruses and spyware, otherwise you'll could be back in the same situation real soon.

BMR777

Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #5

I just noticed that I still can not get microsoft updates. When it starts to scan my computer I get this message.
"[Error number: 0x8DDD0003]
Network policy settings prevent you from using this website to get updates for your computer.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact your system administrator.
Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x8DDD0003) yourself. "

Any suggestions for this. I dont think I have a virus any longer, this just may have happened when the thing with my control panel did. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

You could try this link: https://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d..._netpolicy.htm

Download and run the file on that page.

Let me know if that works.
BMR777

Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #7

Once again, thank you!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

Red Faced

I received a dell laptop from my brother inlaw and some how i lost the contol panel in the start up window and i cant figure out how to get it back
Closed Thread