Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

No audio device - Sound problem

This is a discussion on No audio device - Sound problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Iíve seen this posted on a few forums, but none seemed to help me exactly. Any help would be much

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #1

Iíve seen this posted on a few forums, but none seemed to help me exactly. Any help would be much appreciated.

I recently got given my brothers old computer, which I have formatted and re-installed windows xp, and now the sound does not work at all. When I go to sounds and audio device properties it says there is no audio device. I followed the windows trouble shooter and it told me to check whether I had the MCI CD audio media control device driver, so I uninstalled the media control devices drivers and re-installed them, which only left me with one driver; mciqtz32.dll.

I have tried updating my soundcard drivers, which is additional to the OB one, but I don't know what soundcard it is. IT says it is a 'Creative SBLive! Gameport' but the creative website says this card doesnít exist, and has no drivers available. My brother has long since lost the box and drivers of the card.

Also a new hardware wizard always comes up when I start up the computer, with two 'multimedia audio controller' and one 'RAID controller' It can't find the drivers automatically, and it can't find them on the Windows disk either.

I have tried many different things to fix this, and all have failed.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Troubled

Usually, when people have this problem it is because they have not installed the motherboard drivers that come with the motherboard.

If you do not have a driver CD, you can find the drivers in the support section of the M/B manufacturer's web-site.

Second, verify that the sound is enabled in BIOS.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #3

ok thanks for replying, i have looked on the motherboards homepage and they dont seem to have my motherboards drivers.

I also checked bios and sound was enabled.

i think i need to download my sound card drivers, but i can't properly identify my sound card.

by the way, my pc's specs:
Mainboard : Abit KV7(VIA KT600-8237)
Chipset : VIA KT600
Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 1916 MHz
Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5600XT [NV31.4]
Hard Disk : Maxtor (123 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : IDE DVD-ROM 16X
CD-Rom Drive : AOPEN CD-RW CRW5224
Monitor Type : 14 inches
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #4

here's your download link for your motherboard, you might want to do them all https://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/dr...es=1&model=230
Closed Thread