Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

No Audio Device problem

This is a discussion on No Audio Device problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I'm going to state right off the bat that I know very little about the technical aspect of

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

Hi guys,

I'm going to state right off the bat that I know very little about the technical aspect of computers, so you may have to use layman's terms when explaining things.

I recently had to completely reformat (I think that's the right word?) my computer, as a pretty nasty virus had infected the hard drive and the BIOS. I'm thinking the latter might be the source of my problem, based on some other threads I read online.

Anyhow, just about everything is working fine except my computer now is unable to detect my sound speakers, despite the speakers being able to work on other computers. I go to audio options and all it really says is "No Audio Device." I'm thinking this all has something to do with my reformatting my hard drive & computer.

Let me know if you guys need further information to figure out the problem, I know this isn't a lot to go off of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

Can you give us the brand and model of the pc? . . We can guide you thru installing the drivers for your sound card.

Look in Device Manager to see if anything else needs drivers. . . . Right click on My Computer . . Select Manage . . Device Manager. Look for anything marked with a yellow ! or that is described as "Unknown"

Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #3

xIrish,

What is the exact make/model of your PC and/or motherboard? What version of Windows are you running including Service Packs? Is your sound hardware imbedded on your PC's motherboard or do you have an add-on soundcard installed - if so, what is the make/model of the sound card?

You probably need to download and install both the chipset and sound drivers from your PC MFG's website for the specific version of Windows that you're running.

- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #4

I've tried run/services.msc and setting the Windows Audio to automatic, but that did not work. The speakers are not USB--I also did not have this problem prior to the computer getting reformatted. I'll get that drivers/model & make stuff in a second.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #5

Alright, I couldn't figure out how to find out what kind of motherboard I have, but the Model/make of my computer is: Dell DM061. Let me know if that's what you needed to know or if I got the wrong thing. Like I said, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition (5.1 2600). I don't think I have any service packs installed, but I really can't be sure. I'm not exactly sure what it means for the sound to be imbedded on my comp's motherboard either. I know I don't have a soundcard, if that helps.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #6

No ideas?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

When you formatted, you removed everything from the system . . including the drivers.

You can go here, enter your Service Tag Number ( it's on a sticker on the back of the tower, or you can let Dell find it for you ) and navigate to the downloads for your pc.

Did you look in Device Manager for any other devices that need drivers?

Closed Thread