Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

NO AUDIO DEVICE problem

This is a discussion on NO AUDIO DEVICE problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer seems to need frequent system recovery and everytime afterwards it does not have an audio device. I've forgotten

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #1

My computer seems to need frequent system recovery and everytime afterwards it does not have an audio device. I've forgotten how to fix it so please help.

My computer is a compaq, originally uses windows xp sp1 but I always update it to xp2 after recovery because otherwise the multiprocessor doesn't work. Right now the Sounds,and Audio Device under Control Panel says No Audio Device, and Device Manager says I have four Unknown Devices (with an ! in yellow beside them) under Sound, video and game controllers. When I try to update the drivers for them, the Find Hardware Wizard says the drivers have not passed the windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP, continuing installationg may impair or destabilize the correct operation of my system (the hardware wizard shows the device's name as MEDIA, by the way).

The drivers for each unknown device are as following:
Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter
Microsoft Acoustic echo splitter
Microsoft Wave Audio Mixer
Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver

So, what should I do? Help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #2

Hi,

What is the name/model of your computer? You need to reinstall the audio, and possibly the chipset, drivers.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #3

I'm not familiar with computers but is this what you mean by type?

Compaq presario
Intel pentium4 cpu 2.8GHz 504 MB of ram

If you need other information please post and tell me where I can find them. And please leave detailed instructions on how to reinstall the audio and chipset drivers.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #4

Quote:
When I try to update the drivers for them, the Find Hardware Wizard says the drivers have not passed the windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP, continuing installationg may impair or destabilize the correct operation of my system
You can ignore that message. If Find Hardware Wizard finds drivers - install them.

Did you get a CD with drivers/software with the computer? If so, the correct drivers should be on it.

What's the exact model name/number of the computer? You can find that information somewhere at the front of the computer. How to find the model number.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Model # S6700NX
Product # DQ182A-ABA
Software Build 41NAheRED4
Hardware BOM 0nB141110
Software BOM NA41

The reason I don't dare installing it is because whenever I do system recover, before I update XP to service pack 2, there's always a multiprocessor hardware that doesn't pass the logos compatibility testing and if you install it, the computer crashes and needs to be recovered again. I guess that maybe drivers are different. Please tell me generally when to ignore the message so I'll be more confident. ^_^

Thanks a lot for your help.
Closed Thread