Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

No Admin privileges with Admin accounts.

This is a discussion on No Admin privileges with Admin accounts. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Computer at work does not allow administrator priveleges. System recovery tab also missing. Privileges still not accepted in safe mode.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Computer at work does not allow administrator priveleges. System recovery tab also missing. Privileges still not accepted in safe mode. Computer has problems with missing files upon start.

Thanks for any help.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #2

Your work has most likely blocked administrator privileges.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

My boss is standing over my shoulder giving me passwords. I log onto the admin account in safe mode but i keep getting I do not have Admin rights even inside an admin account in safe mode. Wondering if there is a way to get these admin rights back in accounts that are Administrator accounts.

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by traucet View Post
My boss is standing over my shoulder giving me passwords. I log onto the admin account in safe mode but i keep getting I do not have Admin rights even inside an admin account in safe mode. Wondering if there is a way to get these admin rights back in accounts that are Administrator accounts.

Thanks,
Richard
I am having the same problem on my HOME computer where I am the ONLY user. For example, when I go into the msconfig, make a change and click "OK", I get the message "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

Is there any way to correct this issue?

Thanks!
Trisha (ldytorie)
Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Just giving this post a bump.

Within an administrator account we are getting missing files errors when trying to start applications such as Peachtree. In the administrator accounts we also get the "This action requires an administrator account refer to your system adminstrator" message when trying to re-install these applications. I was going to try a System restore, but the system restore tab is missing and when I try to bring it via the run tab i get security error of some type. We get these in normal administrator accounts and in the Admin account in safe mode. One other wierd thing. I was going to try a complete restore via booting from XP disk and even with all the boot devices set to cd-rom and search for other bootable devices off, I can not get the computer to not boot from hard drive.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Just a bump to see if any one has any ideas. problems still occuring.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

whoever set it up will be the one with the answer,you will need to try and contact them

Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Due to nobody hs offering anything more helpful, please consider the following, from McAfee Knowledge base (URL from which accessed is listed at the bottom).

Problem
When attempting to change settings using msconfig.exe, the error below is displayed:

An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified change

This occurs even when msconfig.exe is run by an Administrator.
Cause
This issue occurs because Access Protection/Self Protection is enabled in VirusScan Enterprise.

When Msconfig.exe is used to change settings on the local system, it also makes copies of certain McAfee registry keys for querying purposes and then attempts to delete them. Because Access Protection is enabled, msconfig.exe is unable to delete the copies of these keys and the Access Denied message is displayed.
Solution
This warning can be safely ignored. The changes to applications other than McAfee software are still saved despite the Access Denied message.

This is an msconfig.exe issue which must be addressed by Microsoft.

This issue is only encountered in Windows XP and Windows 2003 environments. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 do not exhibit this problem because they include a more recent version of msconfig.exe.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/inde...6495&pmv=print

I'm no expert, however I expect the above will go some way to help - the short version is you don't need to do anything except ignore the message - it would seem Microsoft need to fix it.
Closed Thread