Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Newly reinstalled Windows XP keeps blue screening, random restarts and web pages keep

This is a discussion on Newly reinstalled Windows XP keeps blue screening, random restarts and web pages keep within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have had to bring an old computer out of retirement. I have reinstalled Windows XP and all of the

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have had to bring an old computer out of retirement. I have reinstalled Windows XP and all of the drivers from the original disc. It kind of works but it's slow (kind of expected that but if anyone can help speed it up I won't be unapprieciative), it keeps stopping (blue screen of death) or randomly restarting and and web pages keep crashing making the use of the machine unviable. It's an Emachine and it's about 12 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Did you add SPs2 and maybe 3?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, both. SP2 was on the disc I installed from and 3 was a download. It took a few tries before I could get 3 to load, computer kept blue screening during the install, but it did eventually work, or at least it said it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Some of the drivers from the disc need an update.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What caused you to do the reinstall?
Old 04-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

About 6 years ago, a previous machine was in need of a new motherboard and while it was in the shop I asked if he could put some extra RAM in the spare. It is the spare I am now trying to use. At the same time as putting in the RAM he decided that because XP was going to have support ended he would change the operating system for me as a favour and put Vista on it. I didn't ask for it, but I got it. Needless to say the shop in question soon went out of business and has not been heard from since. I tried it once, didn't like it, believed that the machine wasn't capable of handling Vista and decided that if I ever did need to use the machine again I would reinstall XP. I knew it worked on the machine and with the extra RAM now in there it should be better than it was... It isn't. I am now thinking the RAM might be dodgy as it's the only thing in there that's new,but I've got no yellow question marks against it or anything else.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Some of the drivers from the disc need an update.
I would have thought SP2 and SP3 would have provided all Windows updates and I have downloded all the system software for the specific machine just in case some of that needed updating. I have no yellow question marks in the Device Manager. I'm at a loss as for what else to try.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model# of the computer or motherboard?
How much RAM is in the computer now?
Look at the specs for the motherboard, it may not support a large amount of RAM. Take out one module and see if it runs better.
Also, download Memtest burn the ISO image to CD using IMGBurn both in my signature. Remove all but one module of RAM. boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests for 7 passes each for each module. If you get any errors in the lower pane (Red) that module is bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

They had really weak poor quality psus did you ever replace one in it?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

A 12 y-o system likely would have bad filter caps on it by now, if not a few other components. The power supply is the likely location of some of those caps, but the motherboards on those systems were prone to leaky caps as well. Look for any electrolytic capacitors with split tops and brown leakage coming out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaky_Caps!.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	319444

Of course there are other possibilities as well, but this is the most common on older motherboards.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 AM   #11
Registered Member

It an eMachine and I think the model is 2240. It currently has 1gig of RAM, twice as much as it originally had and is capable, according to the User Manual, of running 2gig. The RAM is all on one stick so, as far as I can tell, I can only remove all or nothing. I'm not at all sure what a module is, I suspect it's the black oblong things on the stick, if so I need instructions on how to get them off to do the tests.

No Psus has been replaced.

I can't see any leaky caps on the motherboard, doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any, but I cant see them.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:05 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A Module, is a RAM stick, Download Memtest, burn it to a CD and boot off of the newly created CD, if there are any errors that stick is bad and needs to be replaced
Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 AM   #13
gsm
Registered Member

>> I would have thought SP2 and SP3 would have provided all Windows updates

Um, no. I am running Win XP Pro SP3 on a number of machines and they have something in the order of 150 updates and patches after SP3. But I doubt this is the cause of your issue.

I second using Memtest. Memory modules can be compatible in theory but not work well in practice and the only way to know is to test them. I have had perfectly good modules give problems on a certain motherboard. They would work well individually but not together. The problem was only caused by the combination of that mobo and both memory modules.

If you run Memtest successfully for many hours then I would discount hardware problems and start looking for drivers etc. but my guess right now is you have a HW issue. Memtest will test memory as well as processor and general mobo.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

OS: XP[HP]32SP[23] AOS 5.0.1 Past: W2KSSP4 W2KW W98SE Slackware Ubuntu SUSE DOS UNIX Z/OS PDP-11

After you successfully pass running memtest here are more questions to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudbucket View Post
I would have thought SP2 and SP3 would have provided all Windows updates and I have downloaded all the system software for the specific machine just in case some of that needed updating. ..
OEM drivers are what I would look at too. In your first comment did you mean you have an Official Windows install disk and an OEM driver disk from eMachines or something else? Can you confirm this a Windows Home edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudbucket View Post
It's an eMachines and it's about 12 years old.
Ok so you have a eMachines T2240 - tower - Celeron 2.2 GHz. A Celeron D CPU is going to struggle with Windows XP and tasks like:
  • Browser with addon. Barely tolerable with no add ons speaking from experience)
  • Any modern media playing will struggle with current CODEC which require a better CPU
  • Torrent software

Some suitable tasks they can be used for:
  • CD/DVD burning (barely acceptable)
  • Remote desktop client eg ultraVNC or Teamviewer v10.x series
  • File server (up to 10 connections)
  • Email client
  • Word and other Office Suite processing

Browsers and video media playing have evovled to be much larger programs and therefore need more CPU and memory to what was suitable . I have noticed recently web pages are more likely to crash older browsers on an XP machine. A lot of modern HTML is an ugly mess on old browsers running on Win XP. IE browser usability is poor would suggest Firefox based on my experience with v30-v40 browsers as memory footprint is better than Chrome.

Is this old machine fit for your purpose - what will your typical daily use include? Microsoft will not help and have been removing some of their KB articles that help home tech savvy users get historical info about WIN XP issues. Are you confident to do technical troubleshooting?

If you kept a backup image of the old XP system it would be useful to compare drivers in system32 directory from an old XP backup. I assume this is unlikely available.

Can you confirm it was running SP3 before the Vista replacement? If your not sure try and get stable Firefox browser working on WIN XP SP2 then get to SP3 as next priority. Changing too much in one step makes it difficult to isolate an unstable OS.

As it did run Vista that even if only once and slow. It would indicate the RAM was good when installed. The machine has been mothballed for 6 years so I would assume your BIOS setting have gone back to OEM defaults. Have a look and see if there are any BIOS settings which may be worth reviewing.

There is usually a stop code on the blue screen page. What code is it?

You may have a unstable device driver in the new install.

Are you getting install packages from Microsoft or eMachines site or some 3rd party?

If not what exactly do you have?

For rebuilding plan I suggest:
  • Unplug power cables from floppy drive, and any extra hard drives. Remove any PCI cards. This will mean less load on your PSU and may help isolate what component is causing problem.
  • Start with basic windows install it sound like you have an (Offical ?) OEM Windows SP2 install disk
  • Unplug power to CD drive
  • Disable all devices that are not critical in device manager after the desktop starts.
  • Get your system stable with an Ethernet connection stable with absolute min hardware running
  • IE browser is not going to work properly due to it's age, so get an old XP version of Firefox something anything up to
    v52.3 get what you need from mozilla
  • If you want Chrome you going to need WIN SP3 running smoothly before installing that from HERE or HERE (portable version & online installer )
Old 04-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
Registered Member

Another consideration - being 12 years old, this rig likely uses a single core CPU? If so, you may be faced with the same thing that caused me to have to stop using a perfectly viable Dell notebook only about half that age, which had been running Windows 7 without any problems for years. Microsoft's current implementation of Windows Update pretty much assumes everyone has a multi-core processor, and so they made Windows Update so processor intensive that it instantly brings a single core CPU to its knees.

Try running Task Manager and watching the CPU usage percentage. If it slams to 99-100% or nearly that, and stays there, especially when Windows Update is running, even in the background, that's what I was getting. I could get it to (briefly) stop doing that with killing Windows Update and a reboot, but eventually it would again slam to 99% CPU usage. I tried every trick I could find, including Microsoft's own "fix" issued supposedly for that exact problem on single core machines. But nothing helped. I had to get a new multi-core notebook, and now all is well with it running Windows 7.

I've retained and used a lot of legacy software and hardware over the years, like you are doing, and am usually successful. But sometimes things have changed enough that it becomes no longer practical, and I am forced to invest in something new to replace it, when I can find something suitable.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

A little work around for what Zoandar mentions is with a single core CPU, turn off scheduled restart. Now when installing updates, don't use the computer for anything else.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

what I would do is to get into BIOS and reset it to default settings.
there are posts that indicate getting to bios is different on different emachines.
Holding a key down while booting - ESC, DEL, F2 are the most common - maybe TAB.

There is also a possibility that, if your HDD has not been replaced, when Vista was installed the HDD wasn't wiped and the recovery partition is still there. If it is you could try to do a recovery. At least it would have original drivers and system.

The capacitor issue is real. "Good" capacitors stay good. But often mfg don't get the formula right and they "grow". if the top is convex at all, it is bad. The top should look perfectly flat or slightly concave. The ones shown above are REALLY bad.

That applies to the PSU also, but unfortunately you can't generally see the tops of those caps. So a likely cause might be the PSU. Substitution would be the only way to really know.

The caps can go bad without being powered. So being off all this time isn't relevant.

Memory is a long thin plugin PC board. That machine originally shipped with 128MB (good God). The largest PC2100 module I found is 1GB, and the spec doesn't indicate how many memory slots are available, so you may be stuck at 1GB. IF not, and you get it running, you could add another 1GB board. But a new one is over $50. -- used about $5.00. I probably have some, someplace.

If Windoz is set to halt on BSOD then the info about the halt might give you an indication of where to look. Google the error. "MIGHT" is the operative work. It can be very cryptic and very wrong.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

Just to let you know, I'm still around and will get on with all this in the next few days. It's tax return time in the UK and my accounts have not been updated since October, so I'm a bit too busy to think about anything else at the moment. I will get round to all this probably next week but please bare in mind, I come from a generation that consistently amazed our elders by knowing how to program a VHS, looking at these posts, I am beginning to understand exactly how they felt.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #19
gsm
Registered Member

I agree that a single core processor is going to struggle and I would not spend much time troubleshooting it. Having said that, I do still run Win XP SP3 on some systems with single core processors for some very basic tasks like Network Attached Disk Storage or simple routing. Office 2003 will run reasonably well but web browsers, Google Earth and any programs which require more power will struggle or not work at all.

I have a Sony Vaio with Dual Mobile Pentium T2330 @ 1.6 GHz and 1 GB RAM and I would consider that the very bare minimum to do anything "useful". It is slow but it is not my main computer, it is a secondary computer where I do not need much performance. It does run Google Earth (slowly) and it runs a version of Firefox which is on life support and I expect that any time soon I might find no browsers are supported for Win XP.

Given all of the above I would not spend much time troubleshooting a single core processor system. If you insist then Memtest and hardware tests are the first thing to do and assure the HW is good before you go any further.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
Registered Member

OS: XP[HP]32SP[23] AOS 5.0.1 Past: W2KSSP4 W2KW W98SE Slackware Ubuntu SUSE DOS UNIX Z/OS PDP-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
... Network Attached Disk Storage or simple routing ...

It does run Google Earth (slowly) and it runs a version of Firefox which is on life support and I expect that any time soon I might find no browsers are supported for Win XP.

Given all of the above I would not spend much time troubleshooting a single core processor system. If you insist then Memtest and hardware tests are the first thing to do and assure the HW is good before you go any further.
A little home server NAS for a small home network is good use as long as you tweak SMB connection limit of (XP home=5/pro=10 I always hated MS for adding that). You need a high degree of tech savvy and/or determination to resurrect XP. Once your stable running, Internet browsing/mail is your biggest security risk, but if your carefull use the best browser you can and use web mail you can avoid the security holes that exist (all operating systems have them). Win XP is hard work to maintain (a viable browser in particular) and it is not impossible but the non technical users really should move to a supported operating system if you hardware and budget can handle it. In general backup regularly because malware/viruses because holes exist in all operating systems. Here are some of the problems I run into using XP:
  • sites that don't render properly in my preferred browser
  • 3rd party AV supported for XP
  • windows update does not work properly
  • flash updater issues
  • running an older browser
  • not having a GOOD second browser to give me a 2nd opinion when site looks wrong
  • missing out on lot of new software or updates that don't run on XP
  • depreciated versions of TLS stopping use of some web sites on older browsers
I can live with these issues because they are minor to me and I have other devices running other Operating Systems. My point is living in exclusive day to day XP would be hard.

Agree Windows Update behaves poorly on Win XP it is overly complex; bad design with poor performance; depends on browser components; and gives you cryptic feedback when it fails.

@gsm what version of google earth do you run? I am surprised it still worked.
Closed Thread