Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

New install SP2//no camera-scanner-card reader??

This is a discussion on New install SP2//no camera-scanner-card reader?? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi In desperation I found this board and hope someone here can help with this problem. I recently had a

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 04:15 AM   #1

Hi

In desperation I found this board and hope someone here can help with this problem. I recently had a computer shop reformat my HD and reinstall Win xp Pro with SP2. Since I've had this done I can't install the drivers for my Nikon 5000 digital camera, Canon 1220U flatbed scanner or my Sandisk card reader. I have all the disks yet nothing I try seems to work. Prior to this install everything worked fine and I just installed the drivers for my Nikon on my laptop and it works fine.

Does anyone have a work around for this or do I need to return my computer to the shop and have SP2 removed?

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Bob Bannen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #2

Sounds like all the items you mentioned are USB. Your problem could be quite minor, but may require a bit of Q&A to narrow down the problem.

Does Device Manager show USB as working properly? Do other USB devices work?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
Citizen of the world

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

SP2 shouldn't affect this, I'd take it back and ask them why it's not working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 03:34 PM   #4

Hi

Just checked the device manager and I have 2 yellow flags. One is my scanner (Canon 1220U) under imaging device and the other is under the USB catagory and it is the imagemate CF-SD.

I've tried right selecting each and selecting update driver-- both come back with error ' The Data is Invalid' now I just selected the uninstall for
the scanner and I guess I uninstalled it because it's now gone and so is the catagory imaging devices.

Things are going from bad to worse

attached image

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteiger
Sounds like all the items you mentioned are USB. Your problem could be quite minor, but may require a bit of Q&A to narrow down the problem.

Does Device Manager show USB as working properly? Do other USB devices work?
Old 11-14-2004, 03:56 PM   #5

XP should sense the scanner when you plug it in and turn it on, and then reinstall the driver. Is XP "seeing" the scanner when you do that?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #6

Hi

I changed the usb plug from the scanner from the 'pci' usb and connected it directly to the 'usb' in the MB--it recognized the scanner and proceed to check for drivers, after a few seconds a second window pops up telling me I'm installing the software for the CanoScan N1220U and it hasn't passed the Windows Logo testing to verify compatibility with Win XP. I have a choice to quit or proceed--what the hell--lets go for broke>proceed!

Found new hardware window pops up telling me a problem with installing this hardware CanoScan 'data invalid'

Its like a merry go round

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteiger
XP should sense the scanner when you plug it in and turn it on, and then reinstall the driver. Is XP "seeing" the scanner when you do that?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #7
Citizen of the world

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #8

Okay--tried this but nothing under the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' will uninstall. I've tried the first three and each time I try, I get the 'Confirm Device Removal' warning, select 'OK' and the systems just sits there doing nothing with the hour glass. I put the hour glass over the 'cancel' button and I get the error (not responding) and then I select the corner 'x' and I get the window to report this error to MS.

Thanks
Bob Bannen

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill
Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:21 PM   #9
Citizen of the world

That sounds like a problem. I have an idea. Go into the BIOS, and disable all of the USB ports, then boot up. Try that technique again, they should not be active, since they don't have any hardware, maybe it'll let you clean them out. The fact that you get that reaction makes be believe we're on the right track.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #10

Now I feel 'dumb' if you can get me into the bios (need instructions) I'll give it a go--and like you say--hopefully we're on the right track.

Quote:
That sounds like a problem. I have an idea. Go into the BIOS, and disable all of the USB ports, then boot up. Try that technique again, they should not be active, since they don't have any hardware, maybe it'll let you clean them out. The fact that you get that reaction makes be believe we're on the right track.
Okay I googled 'winxp bios' and received detailed instructions--have to go to work now, but as soon as I get home I either going to fix it or....well you get the drift

Before I forget--regardless of the end result, I really appreciate your technical knowledge and the help you're providing me.

Bob B--

Quote:
Originally Posted by the auctioneer
Now I feel 'dumb' if you can get me into the bios (need instructions) I'll give it a go--and like you say--hopefully we're on the right track.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:13 PM   #11

Windows XP is not related to your BIOS. Every motherboard has a different way of entering the BIOS. When you boot, you may see something that says something similar to "Press DEL to Enter Setup." It could be F1 or F2 or F10 instead of the DEL key. Take notice when you boot, or check your motherboard manual.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:50 PM   #12

Did exactly as suggested and got the same results when I tried installing the scanner--is it possible my MB is toast? The cost to replace the MB isn't terribly expensive and if it solves this problem, I'd be one happy camper

Waiting patiently for more advice.

Bob Bannen

Quote:
Old 11-17-2004, 03:06 AM   #13

Finally got the imaging device drivers loaded. Uninstalled SP2 and the drivers installed with no problems. It would appear SP2 upgrade doesn't like my system?

Thanks
Bob B--
Closed Thread