Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Network connections and wifi icon

This is a discussion on Network connections and wifi icon within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have a really weird problem with my laptop. Although the internet connection works good, yesterday I noticed that

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to LoSt_GuArDiAn Send a message via Skype™ to LoSt_GuArDiAn

Hello,

I have a really weird problem with my laptop.
Although the internet connection works good, yesterday I noticed that the wifi icon on the taskbar was disappered.
I tried to open "network connections" in the settings of the start menu and the page was blank without any connections.
I tried to plug the ethernet cable but nothing changed.

Do you know what is the problem? do you think that is due to viruses?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do a System Restore to a time when this was not happening.
Restart the computer and press F8 and choose Safe Mode With Networking. Then go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Are there any network connections there?
This is usually caused by a virus, please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and post in that section of the forum for more help.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

It's possible you have a cluttered Tray Notifications cache. I have experienced the same, not only with Network Connections icons, but with other programs as well, mostly security software. You could use CCleaner - Download to clear the Tray Notifications Cache. You will have to restart EXPLORER for changes to take effect, or Log Off and Log back In. Be careful with the program as it cleans other things as well, so make sure you only check the necessary checkboxes. They are self-explanatory so you won't have a hard time setting it to your preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

This seems to be not an uncommon problem with several solutions that have worked for others Wireless Network Connection icon no longer on System Tray - Microsoft Community

On the rare occasions that my laptop becomes glitchy, I first try a power shutdown which usually resolves - but I have yet to experience this system tray problem so don't know if doing this would resolve that.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to LoSt_GuArDiAn Send a message via Skype™ to LoSt_GuArDiAn

I tried following your steps but the problem is still there

This is what appear when I open "network connections" and network troubleshooter.

https://i48.tinypic.com/72bvrt.gif
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press enter. Scroll down to Help And Support and double click it. Make the Startup Type Automatic, and Start the Service. Do the Same with Network Connections service. If these services are not listed here. Go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow Put the XP CD in and press enter. This should replace any missing system files from the CD.
Closed Thread