Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Need to reinstall windows xp but recovery disc is broken

This is a discussion on Need to reinstall windows xp but recovery disc is broken within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A while back my secondary pc with windows xp home (without any service pack) broke. The problem was that the

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

A while back my secondary pc with windows xp home (without any service pack) broke.

The problem was that the system was not responsive enough, filled with rubbish and probably sh1tloads of trojans and the sort, from a time when I was useless with computers. I left the computer in the corner for a while and replaced it with a vista laptop.

After a while with the laptop, I decided that I still needed the desktop as well as the laptop was a shared pc and I needed the pc a lot. I got the desktop up and running. I decided it would be a good idea to reinstall windows xp to get rid of all the problems. I stuck in the restore cd. It wiped the hard drive and then couldn't continue, because I needed to insert a second disc, which I had lost. So now I'm stuck with a pc with nothing on the hard drive and a spare licence key.

Long story short, I have a desktop pc, with a wiped hard drive, a spare windows xp home (no service pack) licence key, and I don't have a restore disk or a windows xp boot disk.

What can I do?

Also, pleae note that I am not in the position to borrow an installation disc off a friend, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What brand and model PC?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

what was the original os that came with the computer. did the spare key originally come from another computer?
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

The pc is an emachines 3230 made in 2004. And it had windows xp home (service pack 1). The licence is from the copy of xp that was preinstalled on the pc, but the hard drive got wiped so now I don't have xp on the pc anymore.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

You'll need a Windows XP SP1 OEM disk or the eMachines recovery disk, 3230 is not getting me anywhere usually there is a letter in front of it like T3230 or W3230?
Most manufacturers will sell replacement disks for around $20.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for that. I guess I'll have to fork out for another recovery disk then..

Yeah, 3230 is a variant emachines desktop that as far as I know, was only available in Europe, and support is not offered by emachines, but by the retailer, pcworld.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
Troubled

As far I understood you need to install windows XP home on your PC. As far I can suggest you reboot the computer when it is booting press DEL button of keyboard. It will help you to open up the BIOS manu. Then look for the boot setup where you can find the Primary booting device just select it and turn the primary device on CD-ROM. Then save it by pressing F10 and your computer will restart again meanwhile you just mount your windows xp home on the CD-ROM. When the computer reboots again then your windows xp home will automatically loaded and you can install it on Computer Hard Drive.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

If it's a PC world deal you'll need to get the recovery disk from them.
Closed Thread