Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Need help with Windows XP repair after failed service pack installation

This is a discussion on Need help with Windows XP repair after failed service pack installation within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Last fall I initiated a download of a service update for my computer and walked away to go about my

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #1

Last fall I initiated a download of a service update for my computer and walked away to go about my day. When I returned to the computer it was stuck in a loop something like this:

Computer: Running AutoChk
Me: Fine, whatever you want to do.
Computer: AutoChk Not Found
Me: ???
Computer: FATAL ERROR <blue screen with ominous and confusing error location description>
Me: Crap.

My wife had a baby shortly thereafter and I have not gotten around to servicing the inoperable computer until now. I'm trying to repair windows off of the install disk that came with the computer. Here's what I'm dealing with:

Computer: Welcome to Setup... To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

Me: Ok, "R"

Computer: 1: C:\WINDOWS... Which Windows installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>?

Me: Well, it seems that I want to log onto option 1. "1"

Computer: Type the Administrator password:

Me: I guess you are talking about my log on since I've had you since you were a little baby. "*********"

Computer: The password is not valid. Please retype the password.

Me: I have no idea what you're talking about. Let's make sure this isn't a case sensitive issue. "*********"

Computer: The password is not valid. Please retype the password.

Me: Oh come on, now. Don't be like that. "**********"

Computer: An invalid password has been entered 3 times. To restart your computer, press ENTER.

Me: You're fired! I hate you! You're a @*&%$ing piece of $%*!

Anyone know any tricks here? I'm trying to preserve the music files that I've had since the old Napster days in college.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

slipstream the sp into the windows disk with nlite

https://www.nliteos.com/download.html

then use the slipstreamed disk to run a repair install

to do a repair install
set the bios to boot from cd first
pop in the disk
reboot
choose install
ignore the first repair option and continue with install
when windows finds the previous installation
then do the repair

Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #3

The procedure for doing a repair install is a little unintuitive. Follow the guide here.

To get data off the hard drive, take it out of the computer, mount it in an external enclosure, attach it to a working computer and then copy out files you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Unless you changed it, the Admin Password is blank . . just press enter at the prompt.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpswr View Post
Unless you changed it, the Admin Password is blank . . just press enter at the prompt.
Exactly.

There is a way to remove the failed service pack using the recovery console.

Quote:
Method 4: Use Recovery Console
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

If you cannot remove Windows XP SP3 by using one of the previous methods, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to boot from CD
Note The computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that was included with your computer, or contact the computer manufacturer. You can also use a bootable floppy disk to start Windows XP. For more information, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
305595 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595/ ) How to create a bootable floppy disk for an NTFS or FAT partition in Windows XP
2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
3. Select the correct Windows XP installation.

Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

Note You cannot continue if you do not have the administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER.

Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and the files that are being copied. This is typical behavior.
7. After Windows XP SP3 is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER.
8. Restart the computer in safe mode. To do this, press F8 when the computer restarts.

Note After you restart the computer, the computer may stop responding, and you may see a black screen. The mouse will work. In this case, restart the computer again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you log on.
9. When the computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Task Manager in the Windows Security screen.
2. Click File, and then click New Task (Run).
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
5. In the details pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
6. Restart the computer
10. Use one of the previous methods to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer.

For more information about how to install and use the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

For service pack 2
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350